Man accused of assaulting off-duty Wrightsville cop

  • Police say a Manchester man assaulted an off-duty Wrightsville cop.
  • Travis Lowe, 23, is charged with simple assault.
  • He remains free after posting $15,000 bail.

A Manchester man is accused of drunkenly assaulting an off-duty Wrightsville Police officer, according to authorities.

Northern York County Regional Police say Travis Ross Lowe was escorted out of Knotty Pine Tavern by Officer Michael Carpenter, when Ross assaulted Carpenter on Dec. 17.

Lowe, 23, of the first block of Cold Springs Drive, is charged with simple assault, resisting arrest, disorderly conduct, harassment, public drunkenness, trespass and criminal mischief.

Travis Lowe

Thrown out: Court documents state that Carpenter was asked by staff to help remove Lowe from the bar  about 1:30 a.m. because Lowe had been creating problems.

Police say Lowe was instigating an argument with a woman and her friend, both of whom were playing pool. Video surveillance showed Lowe trying to fight a man near the pool table, court documents state.

Carpenter then threw Lowe out of the bar,and while outside, Lowe continued yelling at him, police said.

More:Appeal hearing scheduled for Wrightsville's fired police chief

More:Police: Teens charged in York City box cutter assault

Carpenter was standing in the doorway of the bar when Lowe tried to get back in, according to police. Carpenter raised his leg to keep Lowe back, but Lowe  grabbed his leg, causing him to fall, court documents state.

The off-duty officer was then struck several times in the face by Lowe before others  intervened, police said. Carpenter told officials that he did identify himself as an off-duty officer but never showed a badge or credentials.

Carpenter suffered a broken nose and had a large contusion to the left side of his face, police said.

Wrightsville Mayor Michael Albert said Wednesday, Dec. 20, that Carpenter had not returned to work, and he is having surgery  on his nose.

"It may be a couple weeks before he's back," Albert said.

Fled: Lowe ran off, and Carpenter's fiancee followed him, court documents state.

As she approached him, Lowe grabbed her around the neck and threw her to the ground, police said. He also threw her phone, which she was using to call 911, according to charging documents.

She was not injured, and her phone did not break, according to officials.

When police found Lowe, he appeared agitated and intoxicated, police said, and he tried fleeing on foot after being told he was under arrest. He continued resisting for a moment before he was eventually taken into custody, court documents state. 

Police say Lowe suffered a head injury during the altercation, and he was taken to Memorial Hospital for evaluation after his arrest.

Lowe was arraigned on the charges Dec. 17, and he remains free after posting $15,000 bail. He could not be reached for comment, and a message  left for his attorney was not immediately returned.

Lowe's preliminary hearing is scheduled for Friday at District Judge Jeffrey Oberdorf's office.

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.