Man who prompted 2016 Eastern York HS lockdown gets prison time

  • Timothy Hannah Jr., 24, who entered Eastern York High School last year, prompted a lockdown, was sentenced to up to 23 months in prison.
  • Hannah had four open cases, which he pleaded guilty in all of them.

A man charged in a string of crimes involving an underage York County girl — including one that prompted a lockdown at Eastern York High School last year — will spend the next few months in York County Prison.

Timothy Hannah Jr., 24, formerly of York City, pleaded guilty to various charges in all four of his cases in September.

Timothy Hannah Jr.

On Monday, Nov. 20, Judge Maria Musti Cook sentenced Hannah to 11½ to 23 months in York County Prison, with credit for time served. He's been in York County Prison since February. He also was sentenced to five years of probation.

Hannah's crimes range from choking a 16-year-old girl at Eastern York High School last year, which prompted the lockdown at the school, to striking that same girl in the face with an extension cord, police have said.

More:Man who prompted 2016 Eastern York HS lockdown pleads guilty

More:Alleged York 'predator' captured out of state with runaway

More:Man accused of choking Eastern student headed to trial

Sentencing: Rick Robinson, Hannah's attorney, confirmed the victim in all the cases is the same 16-year-old girl. Hannah said during his sentencing that he has a child with the girl.

Police said he assaulted her at Eastern York High School in September 2016.

During Monday's hearing, Cook asked what he was doing with a 16-year-old.

"Love, but that's what we thought," he told the judge.

Hannah expressed remorse for his actions and said he would be a better person for his three children. He has a 9-month-old, a 5-year-old and a 6-year-old, all from different mothers, he said during his sentencing.

"I'm very sorry about everything that's been going on so far," he said.

He was ordered to have no abusive contact with the victim, and he must attend counseling for domestic batterers.

 Eastern York: On Sept. 23, 2016, Hannah entered Eastern York High School and choked a girl in the bathroom, Lower Windsor Township Police said.

His presence at the school prompted a lockdown of the school, police said.

The victim, 16 at the time, said during his preliminary hearing that she was in a relationship with Hannah when the incident occurred. 

She said she had met him in the bathroom, and the two started arguing. The girl said Hannah thought she was cheating on him.

"He choked me and pushed me up against the wall," she testified.

Lower Windsor Township Police Chief Tim Caldwell testified during Hannah's preliminary hearing and said police were called because a man, later identified as Hannah, was in the building.

Police made contact with Hannah to get him to come back to the school that day, but when he did, he ran away from officers.

Caught: Hannah was caught in Goldsboro, North Carolina, last December with 17-year-old Krista Bailey, a runaway from the Las Vegas area.

The girl's family told The York Dispatch last year that she was in a relationship with Hannah after the two met online.The two were together when the family lived in Kansas, and her parents said a week after the family moved to the Las Vegas area, the girl left with Hannah.

"I think he specifically looks for girls who maybe have self-esteem issues," Krista's mother, Jenny Baker, said last year. "Then he fills their heads full of everything they want to hear."

Police found Hannah staying with a family member in Goldsboro. Officers found Hannah hiding under a baby crib that was empty at the time, according to police.

Hannah spent two months in a North Carolina prison after he was arrested in December 2016. Robinson asked to submit those two months as part of his credit for time served.

Other charges: York City Police said in June 2016 that Hannah read the diary of the girl on June 1, 2016, and became jealous and angry.

While reading her diary aloud, Hannah punched the 16-year-old and struck her on both sides of her head with an extension cord, charging documents state. Police said the assault lasted about an hour, at which point the girl grabbed for her phone to call 911.

Hannah also was on the run for other crimes in York County, two of which involved the same victim.

He fled on foot from a vehicle stop in York City on May 12, 2016 — leaving behind a "juvenile female passenger," according to court documents.

Hannah fled from York City Police again Aug. 6, 2016, after officers found him with the girl in a condemned city home, charging documents state.

Officers found the teenage runaway in a third-floor bedroom, then found Hannah hiding in a closet in the same bedroom, officials said. Hannah fled on foot and got away, police said.

He pleaded guilty to various charges in all of his cases, and as a result some of his charges, including one of aggravated assault, were dismissed.

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.