Hopewell Twp. woman's home burns hours after she strikes deer
Hours after a driver hit a deer, the woman's car battery shorted, sparking a house fire in North Hopewell Township, according to a fire official.
North Hopewell-Winterstown Fire Chief Shanan Poe said the woman struck a deer in her Chevy Cruze and the damage led to the fire on Thursday, Nov. 2.
The short in the battery sparked the fire about 10 p.m. at a house in the 9000 block of Camp Road, Poe said.
Fire: Poe said the fire started in the garage, damaged another car inside and spread to the floor above it, where there is a bedroom.
He said the fire damage was mostly to the garage and about a quarter of the home, with the remainder of the home having smoke damage.
The electric meter had melted, and firefighters couldn't fight the fire on one side of the home until the electric company turned off the power, according to the chief.
Poe said firefighters could have been shocked if the power wasn't turned off.
The fire was under control in about 45 minutes, and two people in the home were displaced, according to the chief. No one was injured.
Poe did not have a damage estimate immediately available Friday, Nov. 3.
— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.