Former York High hoops standout charged after police chase

A former William Penn High School basketball standout was a passenger in a car that fled from police on Interstate 83 and led them on a chase before crashing in York City, according to police.

State police say Brandon Manuel Smallwood, 19, was sitting in the passenger seat as Thomas Reginald Beattie III, 19, led officers in pursuit Monday, Oct. 30.

The two fled after their vehicle crashed, and Smallwood hid a gun in a mailbox, according to court documents.

More:Police: Two arrested after chase, crash in York City

Smallwood, of the 100 block of East Church Street, is charged with possession of drugs with intent to deliver, carrying a firearm without a license, recklessly endangering another person and marijuana possession.

Beattie, of the 800 block of South Queen Street, is charged with fleeing or attempting to elude officers, drug possession with intent to deliver, marijuana possession and summary traffic violations.

Chase: A trooper began following Beattie's Nissan Rogue after it was seen going nearly 85 mph at mile marker 26 on I-83 north in East Manchester Township just after 11 a.m., police said.

The trooper turned on his lights and siren in an attempt to stop him, court documents state. 

Beattie continued off Exit 28 and then went on I-83 south, reaching speeds of 114 mph, police said. He continued driving down I-83 until he got off at Exit 19B and went into York City, documents state.

He struck multiple vehicles and caused multiple collisions as he fled from police in York City, according to officials.

The chase stopped after he struck a fence on South Howard Street and East College Avenue, court documents allege.

Brandon Smallwood

Fled: After the crash, Beattie and Smallwood fled on foot, police said.

Beattie was taken into custody after a short chase on foot, documents state. Police say he had bags of suspected crack cocaine and heroin.

Smallwood also was caught after fleeing, and police say he hid a black Glock 23 in a mailbox in the 100 block of East Church Avenue.

Beattie told police he fled because he had to pick up his daughter from day care, court documents state.

He said he's unemployed so he sells drugs to support his family, police said. The two had fled from the car with drugs on them, according to police.

Thomas Beattie III

History: Beattie was charged last year as part of a drug sting operation in York City called "Operation: Lint Trap," according to police.

The operation focused on street-level heroin dealers who sold drugs in the 200 block of Miller Lane, which is near a laundromat — hence the name "Operation: Lint Trap," police said last year.

Court records indicate Beattie pleaded guilty to possession with intent to deliver and was sentenced to three years of probation.

Smallwood pleaded guilty to carrying a firearm without a license in August, and was sentenced to two years of probation, according to court records.

More:Police: 'Operation Lint Trap' snags 11 heroin dealers

Brandon Smallwood of York High goes through Cedar Cliff defenders on his way to the basket during the District 3-AAAA semifinal in Hershey, Tuesday February 24, 2015. John A. Pavoncello -

Basketball:  Smallwood was a standout on the William Penn Bearcats basketball team a few years ago.  He was the second highest scorer for William Penn during the 2014-15 season, averaging about 13 points per game, according to

He was second to leading scorer Jahaire Wilson, who averaged about 18 points per game that season.

Wilson and Smallwood were involved in a brawl against players on the Harrisburg High School basketball team in January 2015.

Wilson recently pleaded guilty to committing a number of burglaries throughout York County, including stealing a county police chief's body armor.

More:Former York High hoops star guilty of stealing chief's body armor

Smallwood and Beattie were arraigned on the charges Tuesday, Oct. 31. They both remain in York County Prison in lieu of $20,000 bail.

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser