Bracey steps back from decisions on son's $52K city job

Jason Addy
York Dispatch

Nearly two weeks after her son allegedly assaulted her at her campaign headquarters, York City Mayor Kim Bracey officially recused herself from any decisions regarding his job at the city’s wastewater treatment plant.

Brandon Anderson Sr., 30, of the 900 block of East Market Street in York City, was arrested Sept. 30 in the alleged attack on his mother.

York City Mayor C. Kim Bracey speaks prior to the 23rd Annual York Bike Night Parade on Market Street in York City, Friday, Sept. 29, 2017. Dawn J. Sagert photo

Bracey recused herself on Thursday, Oct. 12, York City Business Administrator Michael Doweary confirmed Monday, Oct. 16. 

The two-term mayor played no part in approving her son’s paid leave from his position as an operations shift supervisor at the plant, he said.

Doweary said he received Anderson’s request for paid leave on the morning of Oct. 2, the first business day after Anderson allegedly punched and kicked Bracey at her campaign headquarters before trying to hit her with a flagpole. 

Brandon Anderson

Doweary said he approved Anderson’s request for paid leave that same day, adding that that decision is the only one that has been made regarding Anderson’s future employment.

Anderson earns $25.01 per hour in his position at the plant, according to his employment records.

More:Mayor’s son on paid leave from $52K city job after alleged attack

More:Professor: Alleged attack on Bracey should have little effect on election

Anderson’s paid leave is not indefinite, but Doweary said he could not provide further details about his leave of absence.

'Not involved': Anderson was hired in March 2007 as a collection operator at the plant, with a starting wage of $16.89 per hour, according to employment records. 

Then-York City Mayor John Brenner signed off on Anderson’s hire in April 2007, while Bracey was serving in his administration as director of community and economic development.

Anderson was promoted to his current position in January 2011, with his wage rising to $20.92 per hour. 

After working 180 days as a shift supervisor, Anderson’s wage was increased in October 2011 to $21.98 per hour. 

More:Mayor, mother, victim: Pa. ethics, open records experts weigh in on York assault case

More:EDITORIAL: A minefield of potential conflicts

According to the head of the State Ethics Commission, which is tasked with enforcing Pennsylvania’s Ethics Act, Bracey should have sent out a memo upon taking office in January 2010 to inform city employees of her relationship with Anderson and make it clear that she would not take part in actions regarding his discipline, compensation or potential promotions.

“In general, the mayor is involved in all decisions,” Doweary said. However, he said Bracey has not been involved in any decisions regarding Anderson’s employment since he took over as business administrator in July 2013. 

Doweary said Anderson has not received any raises other than the cost-of-living increases that city employees get. Doweary said he could not speak to whether Bracey was involved in any promotions or raises for Anderson before July 2013.