CLOSE

Video clips from a press conference about Operation Gun Grabber, a joint effort between feds, state police and the York County Drug Task Force.

LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

A York man who was one of nine people arrested in part of a local, state and federal investigation earlier this year pleaded guilty to his charges.

Kenge Lewis III, 24, pleaded guilty to possession of a firearm by a convicted felon on Wednesday, Oct. 11, according to a news release from the U.S. Attorney's Office.

Lewis was indicted in March and charged with possessing a .22-caliber revolver, the release states. His arrest came from a joint operation called Operation Gun Grabber — a joint effort between the York County Drug Task Force, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, state police and the U.S. Attorney's Office.

More: Firearms seized, arrests made in Operation Gun Grabber

Officials say he sold the revolver in January in York City.

A sentencing date has not been scheduled, but Lewis faces a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison, according to the release.

Background: Nine men were arrested and 11 illegal firearms were seized during the first four months of the operation, which targeted gun and drug traffickers, officials said during a news conference in April.

One of the 11 firearms seized was a fully automatic Uzi submachine gun, which U.S. Attorney Bruce Brandler called one of the most dangerous weapons there is as well as one that's "just a prohibited weapon."

Other weapons seized, including assault rifles, had laser sighting or high-capacity magazines, and one had a silencer, he said, adding these weapons aren't for hunting or sporting purposes. Their sole purpose is to kill people, Brandler said.

Others indicted: The following people have been arrested, indicted, charged and federally detained, according to Brandler's office:

• Edward Harris, 58, of Uniontown, Fayette County, charged with possessing a fully automatic Uzi submachine gun with a partially obliterated serial number; also charged with possessing various types of ammunition and a high-capacity magazine.

• Ernest Crosby, 25, of Manchester, charged with possessing a loaded .357 Magnum revolver.

• Jeremiah Ashford, 25, of York, charged with possessing a .22-caliber Ruger revolver and ammunition.

• Lykeem Bethune, 20, of York, charged with the sale and possession of a stolen Intratec 9 mm pistol loaded with 22 bullets as well as a stolen and loaded .40-caliber Springfield Armory pistol.

• Derek Jones, 23, of York, also charged with possessing the stolen Intratec 9 mm pistol.

• Edward Lee McDowell III, 20, of York, charged with possessing a .22-caliber Ruger pistol with a silencer and a 9 mm rifle and ammunition and also charged with possessing a stolen Springfield Armory .40-caliber pistol. Police said he also faces felony heroin trafficking charges.

• Quran Smallwood, 22, of York, charged with possessing a loaded 9 mm Glock and also charged with trafficking heroin, crack cocaine and marijuana.

• Fred Crowder III, 32, of York, charged with possessing a 12-gauge Mossberg shotgun and two shotgun shells.

 — Reach Christopher Dornblaser at cdornblaser@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.

LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: https://www.yorkdispatch.com/story/news/2017/10/12/york-man-pleads-guilty-operation-gun-grabber/757983001/