Dozens of people gathered on the right lane on the 600 block of East Philadelphia Street in York City Sunday evening to remember Marsha Minor. In the middle of a prayer, a fight broke out in the margins of the crowd. Wochit


Motorcycle enthusiasts and local residents gathered at a vigil for a Heidelberg Township woman Sunday evening in York City, but the event ended in violence.

Marsha Minor, 41, died after she lost control of her motorcycle on Saturday, Sept. 23, hitting a curb and striking a car, according to the York County Coroner's Office.

She was not wearing a helmet.

About 70 people attended a vigil for Minor on Sunday, Sept. 24, at the site of the crash in the 600 block of East Philadelphia Street.

Many attendees wore custom jackets representing different motorcycle clubs and were holding balloons, which were eventually released into the sky in Minor's memory.

Several people shouted "Priti," a shortened verson of "Priti Ryder," Minor's nickname.

For several minutes, area residents and friends of Minor spoke about her, calling her a selfless, joyful rider. Minor at one time belonged to Zero 2 One-Hundred, or Z2H, a motorcycle club. 

About 6:15 p.m. Sunday, community members were hand-in-hand in prayer when a fight broke out at the margins of the crowd gathered on the right lane of East Philadelphia Street.

Dozens of people immediately scattered, and members of bike groups were yelling and attempting to break up the fight.

Show Thumbnails
Show Captions

York City Police showed up minutes later, but a police officer on the scene declined to comment on the record.

The fighting went on for more than 90 seconds while traffic was still flowing on East Philadelphia Street.

More than a dozen bikers sped off before police arrived.

York City resident Laura Mathieu said she called 911 shortly after Minor's accident on Saturday.

She attended the vigil and called the brawl an unfortunate part of the event but added the community wouldn't be deterred from remembering others in the future.

"You still have other people fighting, but there's more good here than that," she said.

"We're not giving up," Mathieu added. "That's what the devil wants us to do."

Multiple messages seeking comment from York City Police were not returned Monday afternoon.

Read or Share this story: