Police: Shrewsbury woman, DUI, rolled car with kid inside

  • A Shrewsbury woman is accused of driving under the influence and crashing her car while her 5-year-old was a passenger.
  • Police say Victoria Harris, 21, rolled her car.
  • Harris remains free on $10,000 unsecured bail.

A Shrewsbury woman was drunk when she crashed and rolled her car with her 5-year-old son inside, according to police.

State police say Victoria Cherie Harris had trouble recalling how her Mitsubishi Lancer ended up on its roof  Tuesday, Sept. 12.

Harris and her son were able to get themselves out of the car, according to police.

Harris, 21, of the first block of Kratz Road, is charged with endangering the welfare of a child, DUI and summary traffic violations. 

Victoria Harris

Crash: State police were sent to the 200 block of East Tolna Road  about 11:45 p.m. for a report of a rollover crash. 

When police arrived, Harris' car was found on its roof, police said. Additionally, police allege that the car had struck a mailbox that was encased in rock at a residence in that block.

Harris had glassy, bloodshot eyes, slurred speech, and smelled of alcohol, documents state. Police say there were several cans of Red's Apple Ale inside her car.

More:Police: Four shot in 'targeted' York City attack

More:Police: York City man assaults cop during arrest


Harris was not injured in the crash, and her son had minor injuries, police said.

DUI: Harris told police she was traveling west on East Tolna Road toward Susquehanna Trail and that she swerved to avoid an object, according to charging documents.

Police say she told a trooper that she was not going fast, but the trooper said her car would not have rolled over after swerving had she been going the speed limit of 35 mph.

Harris did field sobriety tests, which police say she failed. Harris told police she had alcohol that day and that she was fine, court documents allege. 

A breathalyzer test indicated a positive result, and she was then placed under arrest, police said.

Her son was taken from the scene by his grandmother.

Harris was taken to central booking for a blood draw, according to court documents. She was arraigned at central booking the following morning.

Harris was released on $10,000 unsecured bail, meaning if she misses court proceedings she could forfeit up to that amount.

A phone number could not be found for Harris, and it is not clear if she has an attorney.

Her preliminary hearing is scheduled for 9:15 a.m. Sept. 27 at Senior Judge Nancy Lee Edie's office.

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at cdornblaser@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.