Police: York City man assaults cop during arrest

  • Police say Edgar Alicea-Dejesus, 33, assaulted a cop while fleeing from police.
  • He is charged with aggravated assault, escape, and resisting arrest.
  • He remains in York County Prison in lieu of $75,000 bail.

A York City man fleeing from police assaulted an officer during his arrest, according to court documents.

Spring Garden Township Police say an officer suffered a severe sprain when Edgar Omar Alicea-Dejesus resisted arrest following a retail theft on Monday, Sept. 11.

Edgar Alicea-Dejesus

Alicea-Dejesus, 33, whose last known address is in the 200 block of South Belvidere Avenue, is charged with aggravated assault, escape, resisting arrest, retail theft and receiving stolen property.

More:Police: Drunken vandal punches York City cop

Theft: Police responded to the Family Dollar at 1025 Mount Rose Ave.  about 5:50 p.m. for a report of a retail theft. The suspect, later identified as Alicea-Dejesus, allegedly fled behind a Dunkin Donuts carrying a basket of merchandise.

Two officers responded, and police say one of them found Alicea-Dejesus in the 300 block of Norway Street, documents state.

The officer told him he was under arrest, and as he grabbed Alicea-Dejesus by the arm, Alicea-Dejesus pulled away and started to flee, according to police.

Fled: The officer started following and tried taking him to the ground. Police say Alicea-Dejesus was able to pull out of his jacket and continue running. 

According to court documents, as Alicea-Dejesus was pulling away, he made the officer twist his ankle, which caused a severe sprain.

Alicea-Dejesus was later found just south of East Princess Street, and the officer ordered him to the ground, police said. Alicea-Dejesus took off running between houses and went into a fenced-in area on East Princess Street, documents state.

Police say he came out of the gated area and was taken into custody by York City Police just east of Fulton Street.

Alicea-Dejesus was arraigned on the charges Tuesday, Sept. 12. He was remanded to York County Prison in lieu of $75,000 bail.

He does not have an attorney listed.

His preliminary hearing is scheduled for 1:45 p.m. Sept. 27 at District Judge Jennifer J. P. Clancy's office.

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at cdornblaser@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser