Wellsville man allegedly breaks into beer distributor, causes fire

  • Police say Eben Saar, 31, broke into a beer distributor in Warrington Township on Friday.
  • Saar is charged with burglary, arson, and theft, among other charges.
  • He remains free after posting $50,000 bail.

A Wellsville man looking for beer allegedly broke into a beer distributor and caused a fire in Warrington Township, according to court documents.

State police say Eben Edward Saar admitted to breaking into the Rossville Beer Distributor on Aug. 25. 

Saar, 31, of the 2700 block of Rosstown Road, is charged with arson, burglary, criminal trespassing, theft, receiving stolen property, criminal mischief and resisting arrest.

Eben Saar


Broke in: State police were sent to the distributor  at 7495 Carlisle Road for a reported burglary just before 2 a.m. Aug. 25.

When they arrived, Saar was sitting on the northwest side of the distributor drinking a Miller Highlife beer and smoking a cigarette, police said.

When speaking to police, Saar admitted to breaking into the store, court documents allege.

According to police, he told them he had an argument with his girlfriend and wanted to go for a walk and get a beer. When he arrived at the distributor, he used a board to break into the front window and crawl in, court documents state.

After getting a 12-pack of beer, he kicked the front door open, police said.

Outside the store was food, lottery tickets, propane tanks, lighters, cigarettes and beer, which police say totaled about $1,000. Additionally, police say the door was forced open, the window was broken and several registers and display racks were destroyed inside the distributor.

The damage inside totaled about $1,000, according to charging documents.

Saw fire: A lottery sign also was burned and had caught a support beam near the roof on fire, police allege.

Court documents state a man was driving by when Saar was causing the damage. The man saw the corner of the store on fire and pulled into the parking lot, police said.

He saw Saar come out of the store with several different items, and he offered lottery tickets to the man, which the man declined, documents state.

Saar then put the fire out before sitting down, police said.

When troopers arrived, he refused to put out his cigarette and lay down on the ground, charging documents state. He then reached into his pocket, and two troopers took him to the ground and placed him into custody, according to police.

Saar was arraigned on the charges Aug. 25 and remanded to York County Prison in lieu of $50,000 bail. He remained in prison until Aug. 28, when he posted bail.

A message left for Saar requesting comment was not immediately returned, and it is not clear if he has an attorney.

A preliminary hearing for Saar is scheduled for 9 a.m. Oct. 2 at District Judge Richard Thomas' office.

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at cdornblaser@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.