York City garage fire causes $25,000 damage

A garage fire in York City caused thousands of dollars in damage, according to a fire official.

York City Fire Chief David Michaels said Sunday's  blaze in a garage in the 900 block of East Philadelphia Street was caused by a motor overheating in a refrigerator, which ignited combustibles in the garage.

Firefighters were called to the scene about 10 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 20. The chief said the department received multiple calls about the fire. 

Fire officials respond to a garage fire in the 900 block of East Philadelphia Street Sunday, Aug. 20, 2017. Photo courtesy Southern PA Incident Network.

“Flames were visible when crews got there," the chief said.

MIchaels said it took firefighters about 10 minutes to bring the fire under control.

More:York City garage fire deemed 'suspicious'

The fire damaged the contents of the garage and a vehicle inside, totaling $25,000 in damage, according to the chief.

The garage is behind row homes, and the fire did not spread to any homes, he said.

No one was injured in the blaze.

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at cdornblaser@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.