Police: Man crashed, rolled car in southern York County chase

  • Police say a West Manchester Township man crashed his car during a chase.
  • Dexter Reeser, 27, is accused of attempting to flee out the driver's seat after he crashed.
  • He remains in York County Prison in lieu of $25,000 bail.

A West Manchester Township man rolled his car multiple times after crashing during an early morning chase in southern York County, according to police.

State police say Dexter Alex Reeser drove up to 90 mph as he fled from a trooper, before losing control of the vehicle and crashing.

Reeser, 27, of the 2400 block of Church Road, is charged with fleeing or attempting to elude officers, recklessly endangering another person, disorderly conduct, DUI and more than a dozen summary traffic violations.

Dexter Reeser

Chase: A trooper was on patrol about 11:30 p.m. Monday, Aug. 14, traveling north on Interstate 83 near the Shrewsbury Township exit, when he saw a red 1999 Mercury Mountaineer whose owner had a suspended license, documents state.

The trooper turned on his emergency lights to stop the car, but the car then exited at the Shrewsbury Township exit and then went onto Route 851 toward Stewartstown while it increased speed, police said

More:Police: Dad left boy in car after fleeing, crashing

Crash: The vehicle continued through Stewartstown, going off-road through a residential area and onto Winterstown Road, according to charging documents.

Police say while the vehicle was on Winterstown Road, it reached speeds of 90 mph before crashing in the 14400 block of the road. The car rolled several times before coming to rest against a property owner's parked vehicle.

Arrest: When the trooper approached the vehicle, he saw a man, later identified as Reeser, attempting to flee from the driver's seat, according to police. 

After he was taken into custody, police say Reeser admitted to not stopping because his license was suspended. 

More:Police: Teen flees from cops, crashes into tree

A woman in the passenger seat was taken into custody as well. She and Reeser both suffered injuries from the crash, according to court documents.

Additionally, police say the woman admitted to taking heroin about a half hour before the crash. 

Reeser's speech was slow, and he had a dry mouth, which is a common sign of heroin use, documents state. 

He was given a breathalyzer test, which police say showed a positive presence of alcohol.

Reeser was then taken to York Hospital, where he refused to have his blood tested, even after the trooper obtained a warrant for it, according to charging documents.

Prior charges: Reeser pleaded no contest to simple assault in August 2016. 

York City Police said at the time that he  "bounced" a woman's head off  a parked car in June 2016.

Judge Maria Musti Cook sentenced Reeser to two years of probation, and he was ordered no abusive contact with the victim.

However, in January 2017, Senior Judge Lawrence Clark Jr. found Reeser had violated his parole, and Reeser spent another 79 days in York County Prison.

More:Police: York City man 'bounced' victim's head off car

June 2016 Incident: Around 7 a.m. on June 9, 2016, York City Police were sent to the area of Park Place and St. Paul Street. While there, a witness told them Reeser had assaulted a woman, documents state.

The witness told police Reeser grabbed the victim's head in a headlock and "bounced" it off of a parked car, documents state. The witness told police Reeser slapped the back of her head, grabbed her hair and "bounced" her head off the car again, police said. According to police, witnesses saw Reeser punch her in the kidney area a few days earlier, documents state.

Police said the assault took place in front of Reeser's home.

When police went in, Reeser and the victim were on the second floor, and the victim had a visible laceration on her face, documents state. Reeser was  taken into custody. Police say he had no visible injuries on him.

The victim told police that she and Reeser had an argument, and Reeser had head-butted her twice, police said. She also told police Reeser had previously assaulted her, saying Reeser punched her on the right side of her back and struck her with a belt, documents state.

She showed police a large contusion to the left side of her upper back and a welt with bruising on her left side, which she said was caused by the belt, police said. She refused to be taken to the hospital, police said.

In prison: Reeser was arraigned on the his newest charges and remanded to York County Prison in lieu of $25,000 bail.

He does not have an attorney listed for his new charges.

His preliminary hearing is scheduled for 1:45 p.m. Sept. 20 at District Judge Laura Manifold's office.

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at cdornblaser@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.