Police: Teens robbed men at gunpoint

  • Two York City teens are charged in an armed robbery.
  • The two are accused of robbing two men at gunpoint, and taking their phones and keys.
  • They both remain in York County Prison.

Two York City teens were in York County Prison after police charged them as adults with armed robbery last week.

Tyjhon Nodriq Townsend and Shyne Aire Smith, both 15 and both of East Princess Street, are charged with two counts of robbery and one count of receiving stolen property.

According to police, the two were among four people who approached two others on Springettsbury Avenue and robbed them at gunpoint on July 24.

More:Police: York 14-year-old slain trying to buy gun in Reading

Alleged robbery: York City Police responded to a report of a robbery in the 100 block of East Springettsbury Avenue  about 11:40 p.m. 

When police arrived, the alleged victims, both adult males, told police that a group of people robbed them while they were walking.

One of the men said the two were walking when a gold or silver sedan pulled up and turned its lights off, police said.

Three people exited the car, and one of them pulled a small black semi-automatic pistol, documents state. The other two people approached the alleged victims and made them unlock their cellphones and erase all security features from them, according to police.

While this was happening, another person exited the sedan and stood by, charging documents state.

One of the suspects took the phones and a set of car keys from the men, and the group got back into the car and fled, police said.

Tyjhon Townsend

About 1:20 a.m. July 25, officers spotted the car used by the robbers sitting in the 200 block of South George Street, charging documents state.

Officers found Townsend in the driver's seat and Smith in the front passenger seat, police said. Another person in the back seat was detained by police.

Police say the gold Chevy Cruze they were in was stolen.

Shyne Smith

Arrest: Police say an iPhone was found inside the car that matched the description of the one stolen. Both witnesses identified Smith as the one who took the phone, and one  identified Townsend as the one who held a gun on him, court documents state.

Neither witness was able to identify the third person who was sitting in the Cruze, according to police.

Townsend and Smith were remanded to York County Prison in lieu of $50,000 and $40,000 bail, respectively.

They do not have attorneys listed.

Their preliminary hearing is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. Aug. 11 at District Judge Ronald Haskell's office.

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at cdornblaser@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.