Join the Conversation
To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the Conversation Guidelines and FAQs
Glen Rock Borough Council clarifies 'taps' stance
The Glen Rock Borough Council issued a statement Friday about its decision to limit taps-playing in the borough, saying it was not a reflection of "anti-American beliefs" or lack of respect for the military.
The statement came more than a week after the council voted to limit the amplified playing of taps from Joshua Corney's Glen Avenue home.
Corney, a lieutenant commander in the Navy and until this week a member of the council, had been playing taps through speakers outside his home for the past two years.
He has said he told himself that if he made it home safe and sound from deployments in Iraq and Afghanistan, he would play taps daily.
Council: Last week, the borough council voted that Corney could only play taps on Sunday nights and "Flag Holidays" — July 4, Armed Forces Day, Memorial Day, Veterans Day, Pearl Harbor Day, Flag Day and Patriots Day. That was according to a noise ordinance violation notice Corney received, which he posted on his Facebook page.
In Friday's statement, the council reiterated that the nightly playing of taps violated the noise ordinance, and that the council tried to find a compromise because of the "sensitivity and personal nature of the subject matter."
Additionally, the council stated that their decision was not "anti-American."
"In no way is the Council’s decision a reflection of anti-American beliefs or a lack of respect for those who serve our country and in no way is the decision of Council a commentary on their feelings regarding Taps," the statement reads in part.
"(The statement) was put out to set the record straight because there are a lot of rumors and misinformation out there," Council President Doug Young said in an email Friday.
Taps: The decision was made June 20. Corney was unable to make it to the meeting because of reconstructive knee surgery, and he said he didn't find out about the decision until days after it was made.
On Thursday, he told The York Dispatch he had resigned from the council on Tuesday. He declined to say why he resigned, but added that he received "no threats or intimidation" from anyone.
The council's statement may be viewed here.
— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.