Jan. 6 committee calls surprise hearing on Tuesday, says it has new evidence

Police: York City chase ends in family's apartment

  • Police say Quientin Banks led them on a chase with his vehicle and then fled on foot.
  • The chase ended after he ran into an unknown family's apartment, documents state.
  • He remains in York County Prison in lieu of $2,500 bail.

A chase with a York City man that started in a car and continued on foot ended with the driver getting caught in an unknown family's apartment Wednesday, according to police.

Quientin Banks


York City Police say Quientin Alexander Banks, 20, led them on a vehicle chase before crashing into a parked car. He then took off on foot, charging documents state.

Banks, of 717 Edison St., is charged with fleeing or attempting to elude an officer, burglary, accidents involving injury and summary traffic violations.

Chase: Police saw a blue Volkswagen driving erratically and not stopping in the area of Maple Street and Duke Street about 3:20 p.m., according to court documents.

Officer Benjamin Praster was in the 500 block of South George Street facing north when he saw the vehicle coming from Maple Street and running a red light, turning north, police said.

Police incident on N. Pershing Ave. in York, Wednesday, June 21, 2017. John A. Pavoncello photo


Praster got behind the car as it turned south on Lindbergh Street, documents state. Police say the car went west on Lafayette Street and ran a stop sign there, and at that point Praster turned on his lights and siren.

The car, later determined to be driven by Banks, did not stop but instead accelerated toward Pershing Avenue, documents state.

Police: Man led chase from Hellam to Dover

Police say Banks then crossed over College Avenue and illegally passed cars and opposing traffic.

Banks crossed King Street, running a red light, and then Market Street, where he ran another red light and struck the rear of a vehicle traveling east, according to police.

Banks continued for a quarter-block down Pershing Avenue before striking a parked car and stopping, documents state.

Foot pursuit: Police say Banks then exited the car and took off on foot. He went east, then doubled back and ran south on Pershing Avenue, court documents state.

Two York City officers chased Banks to Market Street, where he ran down a driveway, police said. He then went up a fire escape to an apartment in the 100 block of West Market Street, charging documents allege.

Banks ran up to the third floor and into an apartment where a family was, police said. Praster followed Banks into the home and apprehended him, while the family watched, documents state.

The residents told police they didn't know Banks and that he wasn't allowed in their apartment, according to police.

Banks was arraigned on the charges Wednesday evening, and he was remanded to York County Prison in lieu of $2,500 bail.

He also is in prison without bail on a probation violation, according to the prison.

His preliminary hearing is scheduled for 9 a.m. July 5 at District Judge Ronald Haskell Jr.'s office.

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at cdornblaser@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.