Perry, Daniels to face off in TV segment: How to watch

Windsor Twp. homicide suspect waives extradition

Christopher Dornblaser
  • The suspect in a June 2016 homicide waived his extradition hearing.
  • Michael Morant, 48, is charged with the homicide of Rebekah J. Strausbaugh, police said.
  • Morant remains in York County Prison without bail.

The suspect in a June 2016 homicide, who was previously being held in Maryland, waived his extradition hearing, York Area Regional Police said Thursday.

Michael Anthony Morant, 48, charged last year in Maryland in the death of Rebekah J. Strausbaugh, is now charged in York County in her death, according to online court records.

Michael Morant

In April, the homicide case was moved to York County.

Chief deputy prosecutor Dave Sunday said at the time the decision was made jointly between the York County District Attorney's Office and the Maryland State Attorney's Office. He declined to go into specifics, citing the ongoing investigation.

Morant's Maryland charges have been dropped in favor of the York County charges.

Windsor woman's homicide case moved to York County

According to online court records, Morant, of 275 Cambridge Drive in Windsor Township, has been in York County Prison since May 24, charged with homicide. He remains there without bail.

According to Maryland court records, Morant's charges there were dismissed on May 17.

York Area Regional Police filed the charges  April 19.

Homicide victim Rebekah Strausbaugh and boyfriend Michael Morant, accused of strangling her.
(Photo courtesy of Facebook)

The background: Strausbaugh's body was found along Interstate 83 in Baltimore County on June 27, 2016, according to police.

One of Strausbaugh's family members reported her missing from her Cambridge Drive home the weekend before, at which point investigators obtained a search warrant for the home where she lived with her boyfriend, Morant, York Area Regional Police Chief Tim Damon said at the time.

Baltimore County Police found the body of the 30-year-old Strausbaugh in Sparks, Maryland, about 10:30 p.m. June 27, according to Damon.

An autopsy by the Maryland Medical Examiner's Office determined Strausbaugh died of strangulation, and her death was ruled a homicide, Cpl. John Wachter, spokesman for Baltimore County Police, said at the time.

Wachter said in a news release that Strausbaugh went to Baltimore for the weekend but didn't return.

Members of the York County Forensic Unit search the home homicide victim Rebekah Strausbaugh shared with Michael Morant, the man accused of killing her.
(Sean Phillip Cotter photo)

Picked up by boyfriend: Morant drove down to look for her and found her at the Shake Shack restaurant on Pratt Street, Wachter said. They got into Morant's car to head home, he said.

During the ride, the couple began to argue, at which point Morant pulled off I-83 near Ensor Mill and Belfast roads in Sparks, and both got out of the car and continued to argue, the corporal said.

The argument turned physical, "resulting in injuries to Strausbaugh that left her unresponsive," Wachter wrote in a news release. "When Strausbaugh did not respond to Morant, he drug her body into the woods and covered her with a blanket."

Strausbaugh's body was found in the woods in the 15500 block of Ensor Mill Road and was taken to the Maryland Medical Examiner's Office, police said.

Morant's preliminary hearing is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. June 22 at District Judge John H. Fishel's office.

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.