LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

A fire displaced three people from their Hopewell Township residence Thursday night, according to a fire official.

Eureka Volunteer Fire Department Chief Ira Walker Jr. said a chicken coop caught fire at 2801 Bridgeview Road, and the flames spread to the west side of the three-story home.

“It did some moderate damage to the one end of the house," he said.

The fire was deemed accidental, and the chief said it was caused by a heat lamp inside the coop. Walker said the home is salvageable, but the coop was considered to be a total loss.

Walker estimated the damage at $100,000.

The fire: Walker said fire officials were sent to the scene about 11:40 p.m.for a first-alarm fire at the property.

Once on site, he said, crews upgraded the scene to a "working fire," which brought in additional help.

From York County, Dallastown, New Freedom, Shrewsbury, North Hopewell-Winterstown, Glen Rock, Fawn Grove and York Township firefighters came to assist. Maryland Line and Hereford, in Baltimore County, also assisted.

Walker said about 65 firefighters total came to help.

The chief said an adult woman and a young adult woman were sleeping inside the house at the time of the fire. He said a man who lives there was not in the home at the time.

It took about 45 minutes for crews to get the blaze under control, he said.

Fire officials left the scene about 2 a.m.

Old structure: Walker said when crews arrived, the fire was already damaging the home.

“The fire was spreading on the left wall from top to bottom; it was already getting into the attic," he said.

According to the chief, the fact that it was an older home worked in fire crews' favor. He said older homes are made with thicker lumber, which takes longer to burn.

He said if the home had been made with lighter lumber, the situation might have been different. Walker said the home might have been three-quarters of the way consumed, had that been the case.

Additionally, a nearby pond allowed firefighters quick access to water to fight the fire.

Walker said fire damage and smoke damage is the cause of the displacement. He said most of the roof will probably have to be replaced as well.

The residents, who were tenants in the home, have insurance. The owner of the home does as well, Walker said.

The Red Cross is assisting those displaced in the blaze.

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at cdornblaser@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.

LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: https://www.yorkdispatch.com/story/news/2017/05/26/three-displaced-hopewell-twp-fire/102201590/