Hellam Township man charged with rape

Christopher Dornblaser
  • Charles Carter, of Hellam Township, is accused of raping a woman, according to police.
  • Police say Carter also resisted arrest.
  • He remains in York County Prison in lieu of $75,000 bail.

A Hellam Township man is accused of raping a woman and resisting police when officers tried to arrest him, according to charging documents.

Police say Charles Thomas Carter raped a female acquaintance Tuesday night at his home.

Carter, 36, of 847 N. Front St., is charged with rape by forcible compulsion, aggravated indecent assault, aggravated assault, terroristic threats, resisting arrest, simple assault and harassment, charging documents state.

Allegations: Hellam Township Police say the victim went to Carter's home Tuesday night to pick up something.

When she arrived, she found another woman passed out or asleep, which left the victim and Carter alone, documents state.

Carter allegedly told the victim he had taken a "Rhino shot" and that he was going to stick "it" where ever he could. according to police. Documents do not state what a "Rhino shot" is.

The victim believed "it" referred to Carter's penis, documents allege.

Police say Carter struck the woman in the face and threw her against a wall, which caused the victim to fall to the floor. Carter then approached her, pulled his pants down to his knees and exposed himself, according to police.

York City restaurant owner accused of molesting girl

He then raped her, court documents allege.

Charles Carter

Police were notified of what allegedly happened, and five officers responded to Carter's home, documents state.

When the officers arrived, Carter resisted arrest, according to police.

Carter would not respond to commands and refused to give officers his right hand, documents state. A Taser was used on Carter, but police say it did not seem to have any effect.

Officers had to use "substantial" force to control Carter's right arm, court documents allege.

While in custody, Carter appeared to be under the influence and was not communicating with anyone, police said. An ambulance was dispatched to the residence, but Carter was uncooperative with EMS personnel as well, documents state.

An officer then took Carter to York Hospital, police said. While at the hospital, Carter refused to exit the police vehicle, and an officer had to remove him and place him in a wheelchair, documents state.

After being placed in the wheelchair, police say Carter spit at an officer.

Carter was arraigned on his charges Wednesday morning at District Judge Robert A. Eckenrode's office, and he was remanded to York County Prison in lieu of $75,000 bail.

He does not have an attorney listed.

His preliminary hearing is scheduled for 11 a.m. June 22 at Eckenrode's office.

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at cdornblaser@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.