York City restaurant owner accused of molesting girl

Christopher Dornblaser, 505-5436/@YDDornblaser

Update: On Wednesday, May 15, 2019, jurors found Kui Lin, 60, not guilty on charges of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse with a child and indecent assault of someone younger than 13.

“Mr. Lin and his family and I were very grateful," Lin's New York-based attorney, Edgar Fankbonner, said Thursday, May 16.

Read the full report here:

More:York City restaurant owner found not guilty of molesting girl

Reported earlier: The man who police say is the owner of a York City Chinese restaurant is accused of molesting a young girl about 10 years ago, according to charging documents.

Kui Lin, who is the owner of Lin's Garden Chinese Restaurant in York City, was identified by the girl as the man who walked into her room at night and molested her, police said.

Lin, 58, of 817 S. George St., is charged with involuntary deviate sexual intercourse with a child and indecent assault of a person younger than 13, court records state.

Northern York County Regional Police say Lin, who was known to the girl, molested her sometime in her Manchester Township home in 2007 or 2008.

Allegations: On May 5, police met with the victim, who said she was 8 or 9 at the time of the alleged incident.

She told police that she couldn't sleep one night and she was reading a book, when Lin walked in and asked why she was still awake, documents state.

She said she couldn't sleep so she was reading.

Lin then walked over to her bed and knelt down, according to charging documents. Police say Lin reached down under the covers and felt her chest. The victim then "froze" and Lin then reached down and touched her genitals, according to charging documents.

"(The victim) advised that she snapped out of it and jumped up and wrapped herself in a blanket and ran to a corner of her bedroom away from Kui," Detective Robert Ryman wrote in charging documents.

Police say Lin asked her to come over to him, and she ignored him. 

Lin left and then came back, and again asked her to come over to him, according to police.  She ignored him then, too, documents state.

The victim said this never happened again, and she never told anyone about it until this year when she mentioned it to a friend at school, police said. 

The victim's mother told police she had found out about the incident when she asked why her daughter was afraid of men, according to charging documents.

Lin: Ryman spoke with Lin later and asked him about the alleged incident, police said.

When asked if Lin ever went into the girl's room, he said he did not want to continue speaking with Ryman and he wanted a lawyer, court documents state.

He told police he is traveling to China on May 22 and won't return until November, police said.

The restaurant wrote a post on its Facebook page Saturday, part of which states "we will fight to the end," along with a photo that says "Stay Strong."

The post also says a lawyer is handling the matter. Additionally, the restaurant's page said it will reopen once the matter is resolved, but until then, Lin will remain silent.

He does not have an attorney listed in court documents.

Lin was arraigned on the charges Thursday night, and District Judge James Morgan set bail at $100,000.

Lin posted that bail, and was released under the condition of no contact with the victim, according to the York County Sheriff's Office.

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at cdornblaser@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.