Police: Man knew Airville man's body was in car

Christopher Dornblaser
  • A man previously charged with assaulting his girlfriend is now facing unrelated charges.
  • Daryl Vaughan, 36, is accused of being involved with leaving the body of an Airville man in a car for two days.
  • Vaughan is scheduled to be arraigned on the charges Thursday.

A man accused in February of throwing lye at his girlfriend during an argument is now facing charges alleging he was involved with leaving a body of an Airville man in a car in Delta for nearly two days, according to police.

Daryl Vaughan

State police say the body of Edmund Kittelt Jr., 43, was found  about 10:20 a.m. on Aug. 13 in a 1963 Ford Falcon Coupe in the parking lot of Delta Discount Grocery & More. Kittelt's had died from an overdose, and his body was found in a  "slump" between the driver and passenger seats, police said.

Daryl Charles Vaughan, 36, faces conspiracy charges of abuse of a corpse, reckless endangerment, tampering with evidence and theft by unlawful taking, according to online court records.

Vaughan is  being held in York County Prison on unrelated charges.

In February, state police charged Larry Steven McDorman, 48, of no fixed address, with abuse of a corpse, reckless endangerment, tampering with evidence and theft by unlawful taking. Police say McDorman left  Kittelt's body in that car for about two days.

Police: Man left body of Airville man in car in Delta

Allegations: On the day the body was found, a friend of Kittelt told police he had gotten a suspicious voicemail from Kittelt's phone just two days before,  about 7:45 p.m., according to police.

Two people were heard talking on the voicemail, according to police. One man is heard talking to another man, later identified as McDorman, saying he doesn't know where Kittelt was working, documents state.

"Ed just died. He was in jail here; he's been outta jail for four days. He was in there, he went back, he only had a week to go, then he had to go to Maryland for a weekend. He made bail, I think," McDorman could be heard saying, according to documents.

The other man, identified as Vaughan, responded "Beav ..."  according to court documents. Police say McDorman's nickname is "Big Beav."

The voicemail ended after what sounded like a car door slamming.

In late September, Kittelt's cousin was able to identify the speakers, according to charging documents.

Surveillance: A few days after that, police were given surveillance footage from the grocery store.

McDorman could be seen driving the Ford Falcon into the parking lot about 8:15 p.m. Aug 11, police said. That's roughly 30 minutes after the message from Kittelt's phone, according to court documents.

McDorman met up with another man, identified as Vaughan, and the two crossed the street to go to Delta Pizza, documents state. Police say surveillance footage from Delta Pizza showed the same thing.

The footage showed that the car remained in the lot from that night until the morning of Aug. 13, when Kittelt's body was found, documents state. Police say the days Kittelt's body was left in the car were consistently hot, with temperatures exceeding 90 degrees.

Vaughan: While in prison on unrelated charges, Vaughan spoke more about Kittelt with police, documents state.

He said at the time of the Kittelt's overdose, Vaughan thought he was alive, and he added that Kittelt was "always drunk and high," according to police.

He said that McDorman and Kittelt had come by his Delta farm earlier and that Kittelt, in the passenger seat of McDorman's car, was blue, documents state. Vaughan said he checked for a pulse, and Kittelt "gasped" for air and was no longer blue, police said.

Vaughan told them to leave because he did not want Kittelt on his property because of problems in the past, documents state.

From there, McDorman drove Kittelt to Delta Pizza, where McDorman met with Vaughan, according to police.

Vaughan then drove McDorman to his camper, leaving Kittelt in the car, according to police.

Vaughan told police he found out Kittelt had died later that night, documents state. Police say McDorman asked Vaughan to take him back to the car where Kittelt was because he had left his phone in there.

About 3 a.m. Aug. 12, Vaughan took his dad's pickup truck and dropped McDorman not far from Delta Pizza, according to court documents. When Vaughan returned, he had two phones with him, his own and Kittelt's, police said.

Vaughan asked McDorman why he had the phone, and McDorman said he "wanted to get rid of it," and that Kittelt was dead, documents state. Surveillance footage from outside Delta Pizza confirmed that Vaughan had dropped McDorman off that morning, according to court documents.

Days later, McDorman told Vaughan that he had gotten rid of Kittelt's phone, according to police.

Kittelt's cause of death was heroin and cocaine toxicity, according to the York County Coroner's Office.

The latest charges on Vaughan were filed Tuesday, and he is scheduled to be arraigned on them at 9:15 a.m. Thursday at District Judge Laura S. Manifold's office.

Police: Man threw lye at girlfriend

Vaughan was charged earlier this year after police said he threw lye at his girlfriend. He remains in York County Prison in lieu of $150,000 bail.

McDorman is scheduled to be formally arraigned on his charges 9 a.m. Friday in front of Common Pleas Judge Gregory M. Snyder.

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at cdornblaser@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.