Crews dispatched to Lower Windsor home for second fire

Christopher Dornblaser

Firefighters were dispatched twice to the same Lower Windsor Township home on Saturday after a hot ember resparked the flames.

The Craley Fire Co. was called back to the home in the 300 block of Newcomer Road about 4 p.m., just a few hours after the crew extinguished a fire that had started shortly after 11 a.m.

A home was damaged by fire in Lower Windsor Township late Saturday morning. Chris Dornblaser photo

Craley Fire Co. Chief Jesse Frantz said two adults and two children were displaced by the initial blaze, which was caused by an electrical fire in the washroom on the first floor of the home.

Firefighters took about 15 minutes to bring the flames under control, but the fire had spread to the second floor by that point, Frantz said.

A firefighter from Dallastown was taken to a hospital Saturday for dehydration, and Frantz said the firefighter is now OK.

One cat was reported missing in the initial fire, Frantz said.

Fire chief: 7 dogs killed in Lower Windsor Twp. Fire

Second fire: Fire officials cleared the scene around 1:30 p.m., but they would soon return for a second fire at the home.

Though officials are not exactly sure of the cause of the second fire, Frantz said they believe a hot ember in the home’s heating and air conditioning unit reignited the flames.

The second fire caused extensive additional damage to the home, with firefighters unable to regain control of the flames for 45 minutes, Frantz said.

Frantz said a second fire at the same place on the same day “doesn’t happen very often,” though his firefighters have been redispatched to fire scenes before.

Firefighters regularly conduct “overhaul” operations after dousing flames at the scene of a fire, Frantz said.

Once the flames are out, firefighters will tear out walls in areas that have been burned to make sure no embers are still burning, Frantz said.

Firefighters also pull out all pieces of furniture and any other debris to ensure the flames don’t reignite, Frantz said.

The Red Cross is assisting those displaced by the fires.

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser