LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

An accidental fire displaced two Hellam Township residents Wednesday.

Hellam Fire Co. Capt. Scott Livelsberger said a fire burned the outside of the home at 838 Owl Valley Road. The fire was called in at about 12:30 p.m., and it took fire officials about five minutes to have it under control.

Livelsberger said the fire started from discarded wood stove ashes near the 1½-story home. He said a neighbor saw smoke coming from the side of the home and reported it.

The captain described significant damage to the home.

“The whole side of the house is gone," Livelsberger said, adding that the fire spread into the walls of the home.

The residents were not inside the home at the time, he said. Fire officials left the scene about 90 minutes after arriving.

A damage estimate was not immediately available.

The Red Cross is assisting those displaced by the fire.


CLOSE

Multiple fire companies respond to a fire at 838 Owl Valley Rd. in Hellam township on Wednesday, March 22, 2017.

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at cdornblaser@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.

LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: https://www.yorkdispatch.com/story/news/2017/03/22/hellam-twp-fire-displaces-two/99504066/