Officer recounts being shot at by Trev Jackson II

Liz Evans Scolforo

Moments after diving for cover from a .380 bullet that barely missed his right cheek, Officer Lynn Anderson Jr. was back on his feet. He ran after the fleeing shooter, returned fire and radioed for backup, yelling, "Shots fired!"

"I was actually afraid to look at my face," Anderson testified. "I didn't know if I was ... hit."

Anderson was the first witness called Tuesday afternoon following opening statements in the attempted-murder trial of Trev Bowies Jackson II.

Billboards show Trev Bowies Jackson II's photo and note there's a $5,000 reward for his arrest.

Anderson wasn't shot, but suffered powder burns on the right side of his face and in the corner of his right eye.

During the Northern York County Regional police officer's testimony in York County Court, jurors watched dashboard camera video from Anderson's cruiser, which showed the entire encounter.

Anderson, now 30, pulled over Jackson at the Crossroads Shopping Center along Route 30 in Manchester Township about 10 p.m. Nov. 22, 2015.

He testified he followed the car westbound on Route 30 for several blocks and saw it drift between lanes with no turn signal being used, so he pulled it over.

Anderson said he instructed Jackson to open his car door after Jackson indicated the driver-door window was broken, and the officer told jurors he could smell marijuana inside the car.

Something 'afoot': Anderson testified that he asked Jackson for his driver's license, and that Jackson dropped it on the ground.

"It was an indication to me that something wasn't right," he told jurors — that something "was afoot."

"I then asked Trev to exit his vehicle," Anderson said.

Officer Lynn Anderson

The video shows Jackson, 25, of York City, getting out of the car and quickly turning and firing at Jackson from just inches away.

"It happened so fast," Anderson testified. "I never saw the gun. All I remember is ... the gun blast."

Dove for cover: Anderson explained he "ducked and rolled ... to find some kind of cover," and that Jackson fired twice more as Anderson dove to safety.

Jackson jumped back into his car and took off, with Anderson responding moments afterward, the video shows.

"I unholstered my duty pistol and fired seven rounds at (the car)," Anderson testified. Four of the rounds hit the car, and Jackson was struck in the left hand, police have said.

On cross-examination, Anderson confirmed that he can't prove Jackson dropped the driver's license on purpose to get the jump on him, although he suspects it.

During opening statements Tuesday, chief deputy prosecutor Dave Sunday told jurors that after fleeing the scene, Jackson ditched the car, broke into a Manchester Township shed and stole a bicycle.

He rode the bike to the York City home of a former girlfriend, according to the prosecutor.

"She patched up his hand and off he went," Sunday said.

Manhunt: A five-month manhunt ensued, until U.S. marshals captured Jackson in Philadelphia.

Sunday told jurors that when Jackson was caught, he was carrying "the exact same firearm he used to try to kill Officer Anderson."

Defense attorney Davis Younts, in his opening statement, said Jackson admits he was driving the car and admits he fired the gunshots — "no question, no contention."

Trev Jackson II is charged with attempted homicide on a Northern Regional police officer.

Younts said Jackson also admits to breaking into a shed and hiding there, then stealing a bike from the shed.

He even characterized the video as "shocking and disturbing."

But Younts argued that prosecutors won't be able to prove Jackson meant to hurt Anderson.

"The primary issue in this case will be what was Mr. Jackson's intent," he said, adding that Jackson isn't guilty of intending to shoot Anderson.

The background: Jackson, formerly of East College Avenue, remains in York County Prison without bail, charged with attempted first-degree murder, assault on a law-enforcement officer with a firearm and reckless endangerment. He also is charged with burglary, theft and receiving stolen property for breaking into the shed and stealing the bicycle.

Woman who helped Trev Jackson pleads guilty

A conviction on the assault-on-law-enforcement charge carries a mandatory sentence of 20 to 40 years in prison, Sunday has said, and the attempted murder charge has a maximum sentence of 20 to 40 years in prison.

At the time of the traffic stop, Jackson was a felon on parole, police have said.

Anderson was placed on administrative leave after the shooting but returned to work within a couple of weeks, police said.

On his first day back at work, Anderson was out on patrol, pulling over vehicles, according to Northern Regional Police Chief Mark Bentzel.

Jackson's trial is expected to resume at 9 a.m. Wednesday with more testimony.

— Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at or on Twitter at @LizScolforoYD.