LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

An electrical fire damaged a West Manchester Township restaurant Tuesday night, according to a fire official.

A fire was reported at Mary Jane's Restaurant at 4345 W. Market St. just before 8:30 p.m., according to York County 911 webcad.

West Manchester Township Fire Chief Clif Laughman said the fire started in the electrical panel in the basement and spread into the walls and up to the attic. He estimated the damage at $50,000.

Laughman said the department originally got the call for sparks coming out from an electrical panel, but when firefighters got to the scene, it was worse than that.

"The whole restaurant was filled with smoke," he said.

The restaurant was closed when the fire started, and a man was still in the building when the fire was called in. Laughman said the man had evacuated the building by the time firefighters arrived.

While firefighters responded to the fire, the portion of Route 30 directly in front of the building was blocked off to traffic. No flames were visible from the outside, but smoke could occasionally be seen coming from the left side of the building.

The chief estimated it took about an hour and a half to bring the fire under control.

He said the restaurant will be closed for an undetermined amount of time.

Crews from Dover Township, Nashville, Thomasville, York Area United Fire and Rescue and York City assisted at the scene.

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at cdornblaser@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.

LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: https://www.yorkdispatch.com/story/news/2017/02/28/fire-damages-west-manchester-restaurant/98562298/