Police: Fugitive tried to run over officer in escape

Christopher Dornblaser
  • A fugitive was arrested Wednesday morning at the Econo Lodge in Manchester Township, according to police.
  • Police say Khalic Cross jumped from a balcony and tried to run over officers with a car.
  • He remains in York County Prison in lieu of $90,000 bail.

A fugitive captured at a Manchester Township motel Wednesday morning allegedly tried to run down an officer in a car according to York City Police.

Khalic Rayquan-Mo Cross, 23, of 306 Kurtz Ave., is charged with aggravated assault, flight to avoid apprehension and reckless endangering another person, according to charging documents. Cross was wanted on assault and flight-to-avoid-apprehension charges when he was arrested, police said.

Khalic Cross

Arrest: At about 9 a.m. Wednesday, officers were set up at the Econo Lodge at 222 Arsenal Road while searching for Cross.

A blue Honda minivan had come into the parking lot after the driver asked an officer for permission to enter, according to police. Shortly afterward a man wearing a black hooded sweatshirt, later identified as Cross, was seen jumping from the second floor balcony, charging documents said.

Marshals: York City shooting suspect captured in Brooklyn

He then ran to the minivan and jumped into the open passenger door, according to police. An officer ran toward the van when Cross crawled into the front passenger seat and began struggling with the female driver as he tried to take control of the vehicle, police said.

"I saw him raise his knee and step on the accelerator, as I observed the van accelerate/lurch towards (the officer),"  a different responding officer wrote in charging documents.

The van stopped, but police say Cross could be seen attempting to step on the accelerator and tugging on the steering wheel, police said. Cross lowered himself and it looked like he was trying to push the driver's foot from the brake while pushing the accelerator with his other hand, documents state.

A different officer opened the front door and tried pulling him from the brake pedals, police said. Cross raised his right hand to strike the officer when the officer struck him twice in the face with his elbow, stunning him, according to police.

More officers arrived and were able to pull Cross from the car and take him into custody, documents state.

Two assisted: Two women are charged with helping Cross that day, according to police.

Luz Maria Incle, 24, of 300 Kurtz Ave., and Mikeya Onya Thompson, 23, of 32 W. King St., Apt. 12, are charged with hindering apprehension, according to charging documents.

Police say Incle was driving the blue Honda when Cross jumped from the balcony. She told officers that Cross called her asking her to pick him up, and she drove to the area closest to the room he was staying in, room 332, documents state.

Luz Incle

Additionally, police say Incle paid for the room where Cross was.

Thompson was allegedly in the room attached to the balcony Cross jumped from, documents state. Police say they knocked on the door of room 332 and no one responded. When they forced their way in, they found Thompson, according to charging documents.

Cross has been wanted since October 2014, and police say Thompson had been asked to call authorities if she was aware of Cross' whereabouts.

Mikeya Thomspon-Tyler

Cross was arraigned on the charges Wednesday night and remanded to York County Prison in lieu of $90,000 bail.

Incle and Thompson were arraigned Wednesday afternoon and sent to York County Prison in lieu of $50,000 bail each. It is unclear if any of them have an attorney.

The U.S. Marshals Service, state police and the York County Sheriff's Department assisted York City Police in the arrest.

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at cdornblaser@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.