Moving alleged would-be cop killer's trial 'premature'

Christopher Dornblaser
  • A request to move Trev Jackson's trial to another venue was deemed "too premature" on Friday.
  • The request was made because of the high-profile nature of the case.

A request to move the trial for alleged would-be cop killer Trev Bowies Jackson II to another venue was ultimately deemed premature during a hearing Friday afternoon.

If you see Trev Jackson II, you're asked to call 911 immediately.

Jackson, 25, formerly of East College Avenue in York City, is accused of shooting at a Northern York County Regional Police officer during a traffic stop on Route 30 on Nov. 22, 2015. He also is accused of stealing a bicycle from a woman's shed while hiding from police.

Jackson is charged with attempted homicide, assault on a law-enforcement officer with a firearm and reckless endangerment.

On Friday, a hearing was held after Jackson's defense attorney, Richard Younts, filed a request to move Jackson's trial because of the media coverage surrounding the incident and how it might affect potential jurors.

Trial ahead for alleged York-area would-be cop killer

Hearing: Chief deputy prosecutor Dave Sunday argued that it is too early to make that decision and instead suggested speaking individually to potential jurors.

Sunday also referred to a video of the incident that Northern York County Regional Police shared on the department's YouTube account in December 2015. Sunday said he looked at the statistics of the video.

"The amount of people that watched that video went through the roof," he said of the first few days it was uploaded. Sunday said in the year since, the video has not seen many views.

He suggested the juror candidates be asked what media they might have been exposed to so the court can ensure an impartial jury.

"At this point, it's probably a little premature," Common Pleas Judge Michael E. Bortner said of the request.

Younts agreed that speaking to potential jurors individually would be beneficial.

Sunday and Younts declined comment after the hearing.

Billboards show Trev Bowies Jackson II's photo and note there's a $5,000 reward for his arrest.

The background: Officer Lynn Anderson pulled over Jackson for swerving in and out of his lane of travel on Route 30, then smelled marijuana coming from the car, charging documents state.

Anderson ordered Jackson — a felon on parole — out of the car and was reaching for the man's arm to handcuff him when Jackson turned and fired from about 2 feet away, Northern Regional Police Chief Mark Bentzel has said. Anderson was unhurt, except for the powder burns on his face from the muzzle flash, the chief said.

As Jackson fired, Anderson dove out of the way and returned fire, squeezing off seven rounds, Bentzel said at the time. Four of those bullets struck Jackson's car, police said.

Jackson was shot in the left hand when Anderson returned fire, according to police. His vehicle was found abandoned the next morning with blood in it.

Police have said Jackson made his way to York City after stealing a bicycle from a shed in Manchester Township. Officers found a boot print and a pool of blood in the Zoar Avenue shed, as if Jackson had been hiding there, police have said.

The fugitive remained on the run from police for more than five months until he was captured without incident by U.S. marshals and local police on North Stanley Street in Philadelphia, police have said.

Officials used billboards offering a $5,000 reward for information leading to his arrest.

Assistance: Three women were charged with assisting Jackson that night.

Cathilia Laureano, 24, Cristina Lissette Perez, 23, and Xeomarie Velez-Quinones, 33, were accused of helping Jackson. Laureano, Jackson's on-again/off-again girlfriend, pleaded guilty to hindering apprehension in January.

Laureano, of 337 W. Market St., entered a negotiated plea agreement and was sentenced to 34 days to 18 months in York County Prison, which amounts to a time-served sentence, records indicate.

Police have said Laureano bandaged Jackson's wounds, gave him clothing, disposed of his clothing and arranged a ride for Jackson with Velez-Quinones.

Laureano admitted Jackson showed up at her door injured and that she cleaned his wound, wrapped it in a pair of tights and called Velez-Quinones in a panic, Deputy U.S. Marshal Philip R. Lewis III testified during Velez-Quinones' preliminary hearing.

Police say Perez was a passenger in the car during the incident.

Velez-Quinones is accused of giving Jackson a ride after the shooting, according to police.

Jackson's trial is set to begin March 20.

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.