Lead poisoning kills bald eagle at Pennsylvania center

The Associated Press

SUMMIT HILL, Pa. — Lead poisoning has killed a bald eagle that was found sick in the wild in northeastern Pennsylvania.

WNEP-TV reports the 4-year-old female was found sick near the Francis E. Walter Dam in White Haven. It was brought to the Carbon County Environmental Education Center for treatment, where it died Tuesday.

Susan Gallagher, the chief naturalist at the center, says the bird was vomiting and had diarrhea and other signs of lead poisoning. An X-ray revealed a lead fragment inside the bird, which it likely ate.

Lead poisoning is an increasing problem for eagles and other birds that consume bullets or fishing sinkers.

The birds are protected under a 1940 federal law.