One hospitalized after York City row home fire

Christopher Dornblaser
  • One person was hospitalized after a row home fire in York City.
  • YCFD Chief David Michaels said she was breathing, but it sounded as if she was in serious condition.
  • The cause of the fire is still under investigation.

One person was hospitalized following a fire in York City on Tuesday, according to a fire official.

York City Fire Chief David Michaels said White Rose Ambulance was dispatched to the scene of a medical emergency at 357 W. Philadelphia St. on Tuesday night  about 6:30. As they arrived, emergency medical technicians  saw smoke coming from the building, Michaels said.

The EMTs, who called in the fire, rescued a 21-year-old man and a 5-month-old infant from the third floor before firefighters arrived on the scene, Michaels said.

Firefighters rescued a woman from the second floor of the building.

"She was barely breathing when we got her out," he said.

He did not have an age for the woman, but Michaels said she suffered from severe smoke inhalation and was taken to York Hospital by ambulance. He said the last report he received was that the woman was breathing, he said, but she appeared to be in "serious condition."

White Rose Ambulance tweeted about 7 p.m. that it had transported one victim in "life-threatening" condition from the fire.

Two EMTs  were  taken to the hospital for minor smoke inhalation, Michaels said

Michaels estimated that it took about 30 minutes for crews to control the fire, which was contained to 357 W. Philadelphia St.

A row home in the 300 block of West Philadelphia Street was the scene of a fire Tuesday night. Photo courtesy York City Fire Department.

The first floor of the building houses Miller Bros. Vaccuum Cleaners, which Michaels said has been at that location for 45 years. That floor sustained water damage, he said.

Fire claims already burned duplex in York City

The second and third floors had significant damage, he said. About 8:30 p.m. Tuesday, Michaels said it was too early too determine the cause of the fire or the estimated damage to the building.

Because there was an injury in the fire, the chief said a state police fire marshal and York City Police are assisting in the investigation.

"The investigation is going to take a while," Michaels said.

Three were displaced by the fire, but the chief said they need to talk to more people, and that number could rise. The neighboring homes might have smoke damage, he said, but those living in them will not be displaced.

The Red Cross is assisting those displaced by the fire.

The scene: West Philadelphia Street was blocked  from near North Penn Street, and the area immediately in front of the building was blocked off as well.

Watching from behind the tape were Vicki Hoffman and Judy Carpenter, who both live nearby.

They  live about a block from the blaze, and they said they saw the lights from emergency vehicles and came out to see what was going on. When they approached 357 W. Philadelphia St., they could see smoke.

"Flames were coming out of there," Carpenter said as she pointed to the third floor.

Crews responded to a fire that hospitalized one woman Tuesday night. Photo by Christopher Dornblaser.

In October, a number of row homes were damaged or destroyed in the 100 block of East Maple Street. The fire spread from one row home to the next. More than 20 people were displaced. Knowing what fires can do to row homes is what concerned Hoffman.

"With something like this, you never know what could happen," she said.

The fire being in a row home is what caused such a large response, according to Michaels. Because of how quickly fires can spread in those homes, additional assistance was requested.

Fire departments from West York, North York and Dover assisted at the scene. Crews were still at the scene as of 9:20 p.m.

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.