Four adults were taken to local hospitals from York City's Phineas Davis K-8 after becoming sick at the school on Friday morning, but no children reported feeling ill, according to York City School District's spokeswoman.

Spokeswoman Erin James said a York City School District police officer smelled an odor inside the school and pulled the fire alarm, causing the school to be evacuated.

Show Thumbnails
Show Captions

York Area United Fire and Rescue crews were called to the 300 S. Ogontz St. school about 10:30 a.m., according to Fire Chief Dan Hoff. Although Davis is part of the York City School District, it's actually located in Spring Garden Township.


A gas leak at Phineas Davis K-8 sent four adults to the hospital and students home for the day

Ambulance crews also were summoned there.

Hoff said crews were summoned for a reported smell of smoke inside the school.

Firefighters were unable to find any smoke, and also found no evidence of a carbon monoxide leak, the chief said.

A Columbia Gas crew was called to the scene and that crew discovered a small gas leak inside the school, according to Hoff.

"Once that was discovered, the school made the decision to close the school for the rest of the day," he said.

The small leak is in the school's basement, according to James, who said repairs are underway.

Although no students reported any symptoms, they were closely monitored by school staff, James said.

After being evacuated, students and staff were moved to St. Andrew's Episcopal Church across the street, she said.

Students in fifth through eighth grades were allowed to walk home, and younger students were picked up by parents or guardians at St. Andrew's, according to James.

— Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at or on Twitter at @LizScolforoYD.

Read or Share this story: