Police: Man stuck under SUV after pursuit

Christopher Dornblaser
  • Police say Theron Eugene Robinson Jr., of York City, led them on a chase early Sunday morning.
  • Robinson allegedly crashed in Columbia and fled on foot.
  • He was found stuck under an SUV, and police say they had to pull him out.
  • Robinson remains free on $15,000 bail.

A York City man found himself stuck under an SUV early Sunday morning after police say he led them on a chase that ended in Lancaster County.

Theron Eugene Robinson Jr., 24, of 336 W. Maple St., is charged with two counts of fleeing or attempting to elude officers, one count of flight to avoid apprehension and other summary traffic offenses. He is free on $15,000 bail.

Hellam Township Police say Robinson fled from them and crashed in Columbia, where he fled on foot and became stuck under an SUV.

Pursuit: Police say that about 2:30 a.m. Robinson was seen traveling fast on Route 30 eastbound, near mile marker 250.

The responding officer was able to catch up to Robinson's car, a silver Nissan sedan, and the officer saw Robinson's registration tag lights were not working, according to police. Robinson got off Route 30 at the Wrightsville exit and  turned right into the Rutter's on Cool Springs Road, documents state.

Police say they tried to stop Robinson there, but he took off south toward Cool Creek Road. Robinson then turned left onto Hellam Street, toward Wrightsville, where he drove through a red light, according to charging documents. He continued through Wrightsville and onto the Route 462 bridge, where he was seen driving at speeds of over 100 mph, police allege.

"While on the 462 bridge, Robinson crossed over and around a vehicle into oncoming traffic and almost struck the oncoming vehicle head-on," charging documents state.

Robinson made his way into Lancaster County as he traveled through Columbia, where police say he did not stop until he ran into the west side of a building in the 600 block of Locust Street.

Police: Man, DUI, fled police, crashed near home

Stuck: From there, police say, Robinson fled north on foot and two passengers fled south on foot.

He was found under an SUV at 634 Chestnut St., north of where he crashed his car, according to police.

"Robinson was stuck under the SUV, facing the engine block, and had to be pulled out from underneath the SUV by myself and two other officers," the responding officer wrote in charging documents.

Robinson was placed into custody and handcuffed, and alcohol could be smelled on his breath, police said.

After he had crashed, police found a 1.75-liter bottle of Hennessy on the front passenger floor, according to documents.

Officers from Lancaster and York counties assisted in searching for the passengers. Police found one of them at 615 Locust St. in Columbia.

The second passenger was tracked to a location in the 500 block of Cherry Street, where officers found a handgun, but they were unable to find the passenger, documents state.

Robinson and his passenger were taken to the Hellam Township Police Department for an interview, according to police. The passenger was then released.

Robinson was taken to central booking for arraignment, police said. He could not be reached for comment, and it is unclear if he has an attorney.

His preliminary hearing is scheduled for 9:30 a.m. Feb. 2 at District Judge Robert A. Eckenrode's office.

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at cdornblaser@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.