LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

Children were briefly evacuated from a Manchester-area day care center Friday afternoon for a reported carbon-monoxide incident, according a fire official.

But the kids were allowed back inside within about a half hour, after fire officials found normal carbon-monoxide readings at All Aboard Child Care Center, according to an official at the scene.

No one was transported from the scene by ambulance, a York County 911 supervisor confirmed.

Union Fire Co. Chief Joe Stevens said an adult at the day care felt ill Thursday and called 911 Friday just in case there was a carbon-monoxide leak. That, coupled with what was likely a dead battery in a carbon monoxide detector, caused the call for evacuation, he said.

The chief said a detector was beeping about every five minutes.

"We checked the entire building ... everything's operating normal," he said.

The children and staff were quickly moved from the 4304 N. George St. center in East Manchester Township next door to the Manchester Cafe, Stevens said. About 17 people were checked by EMS and were cleared, he said.

The incident was reported at 1:25 p.m., and an ambulance, a medic unit and fire/rescue personnel were dispatched to the scene. The chief said the incident took about 30 minutes total. Fire officials left the scene about 2:30 p.m.

— Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at levans@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at @LizScolforoYD.

Staff reporter Christopher Dornblaser contributed to this report.

LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: https://www.yorkdispatch.com/story/news/2017/01/06/manchester-day-care-center-evacuated/96250992/