Giant recalls several varieties of chips
Three brands of potato chips have been removed from shelves at Giant following recalls because of potential salmonella contamination, according to news releases from Giant.
The following products are included in the recall:
• Dieffenbach's Sour Cream and Onion Kettle Chips, 9 ounces, with a UPC of 78565400014 and best-by dates between Dec. 18, 2016, and April 2, 2017.
• Dieffenbach's Sour Cream and Onion Kettle Chips, 2 ounces, with a UPC of 78565400015 and best-by dates between Jan. 1, 2016, and April 2, 2017.
• Herr's Smoked Chipotle flavored Kettle Cooked Potato Chips, 2.625 ounces, with a UPC of 7260003339 and best-by dates of Nov. 13, 2016, through March 27, 2017.
• Herr's Smoked Chipotle flavored Kettle Cooked Potato Chips, 8 ounces, with a UPC of 7260003420 and best-by dates of Nov. 26, 2016, through April 24, 2017.
• Route 11 Sour Cream and Chive Potato Chips, 2 ounces, with a UPC of 4493500062 and best-by dates between Feb. 9, 2017, and June 10, 2017.
• Route 11 Sour Cream and Chive Potato Chips, 6 ounces, with a UPC of 4493500061 and best-by dates between Feb. 9, 2017, and June 10, 2017.
Additionally, Giant announced the removal of certain SunSpire Organic Chocolate Chips. The chips might have milk in them, which is not listed on the ingredient label. The following is included in the recall:
• SunSpire Organic 42 percent Cacao Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips, 9 ounces, with a UPC 7724150075, and best-by dates of Feb. 24, 2017, through Sept. 19, 2018.
Customers who have purchased any of the products should discard any unused portions and bring their purchase receipt to Giant for a full refund.
There have been no reports of illness from salmonella, according to a release from Giant. Salmonella infections can be life-threatening, specifically to those with weak immune systems, such as infants, elderly people or those with HIV infection or who are undergoing chemotherapy, the release states.
The most common symptoms are diarrhea, abdominal cramps and fever within 72 hours, according to the release.
Giant also has not had any reports of illness related to the SunSpire chocolate chips, the release states.
Anyone seeking more information may call Giant customer service at 1-888-814-4268.
— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at email@example.com or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.