Police: West Manchester man stabbed brother with glass

Christopher Dornblaser
  • A West Manchester Township man is accused of stabbing his brother with a glass Tuesday afternoon.
  • Police say he initially hit his brother with the glass and stabbed him with the shattered piece.
  • He remains in York County Prison in lieu of $200,000 bail.

A West Manchester Township man remains in York County Prison after police say he stabbed his brother with broken glass last week.

Cary Allen Gerace, 51, of 2732 Thornbridge Road East, is charged with two counts of aggravated assault and one count each of attempted simple assault and harassment, according to charging documents filed by West Manchester Township Police.

Police allege he struck brother Todd Gerace on the head with a glass and then stabbed him in the neck with a glass shard.

The allegations: Police were summoned to Cary Gerace's home about 2:30 p.m. Nov. 15 for a report of a domestic assault. When officers arrived, they saw Todd Gerace in the driveway, bleeding from his neck and head, according to police.

He told officers he was sleeping on the couch that day when his brother began shouting and woke him up, according to charging documents.

Todd Gerace told his brother to calm down and stop yelling, causing Cary Gerace to become more upset, police said. Cary Gerace then grabbed "two handfuls" of knives lying in the sink, police said.

"What, are you going to stab me with those knives?" the victim asked his brother, according to police. Cary Gerace said he would if he had to, documents state.

Cary Gerace put down the knives and grabbed a drinking glass and headed toward Todd Gerace, police said.

"Once Cary reached Todd, he struck him in the top of the head with the glass, causing it to break," charging documents state. At that point, the men's mother tried to separate them, and she also was struck in the head with the glass, police said. She did not suffer any injuries.

The two brothers then fell to the floor, according to police.

"Once on the floor, Cary used the broken base of the glass to stab Todd in the neck," charging documents state. Police say Todd Gerace used his arms to keep his brother from stabbing him again, until their father separated the two.

Cary Gerace

Police: Fight ends with glass coffee pot to the head

Arrest: Officers arrested Cary Gerace, who allegedly told them he was acting in self-defense, police said.

Both the men's parents told police they did not see the start of the incident, but they did see Cary Gerace stab his brother while they were on the ground, documents allege.

Police said they found the kitchen and the dining room covered in blood and saw a pile of glass and a clump of hair that looked like it belonged to Todd Gerace.

Todd Gerace was taken to York Hospital for treatment of what ambulance personnel told police appeared to be a severe stab wound, according to charging documents.

Cary Gerace remains in prison on $200,000 bail.

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at cdornblaser@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.