Police: Man, DUI, fled police, crashed near home

Christopher Dornblaser
  • A Harrisburg man is accused of fleeing police while DUI, according to police.
  • Police say he tried to flee police and resisted arrest.
  • He remains in York County Prison in lieu of $20,000 bail.

A Harrisburg man is accused of fleeing from police before crashing in front of a York Haven home, according to state police.

Kunta Kinte Bond, 39, of 2513 Agate St., Harrisburg, is charged with DUI, recklessly endangering another person, resisting arrest, fleeing or attempting to elude police and disorderly conduct, among other charges, according to charging documents.

Police say Bond was driving erratically and that when they tried to pull him over, he drove off for a few miles, nearly striking one car before crashing and subsequently resisting arrest.

The alleged incident: About 2 a.m. Nov. 6, a trooper was driving north on Interstate 83 at mile marker 25 when he saw a gray sedan, driven by Bond, weaving in and out of its lane, going between speeds of 54 and 72 mph, documents state.

At mile marker 28, the trooper turned on his lights and sirens to pull over the car, but police say Bond continued north, exceeding speeds of 100 mph, before getting off at Exit 32.

From there, Bond drove southeast on Route 382, continuing at a similar speed, and police allege that he lost control of the car numerous times.

After passing one car very closely, Bond came upon another car, barely missing the car and a guard rail, as he was going into York Haven, police said.

Police: Driver in Peach Bottom Twp. ATV chase was DUI

"As he continued to travel into the borough, he lost control on Landvale (Street) at Locust (Street)," the trooper wrote in charging documents. Police say the roadway had a sharp curve, and on the far side of the opposite lane were boulders and town houses. Bond hit one of the boulders, turning it onto its side, documents state.

After striking the boulder, Bond left the car and tried to flee, police said. Two troopers were able to get Bond into custody, but police say he fought them before they could do so.

The car crashed outside a woman's house, where her daughter was sleeping on the lower level, according to police.

High-speed chase on I-83 ends with crash near Route 30

While Bond was in custody, troopers smelled a strong odor of alcohol coming from him, and his eyes were bloodshot, police allege. Bond denied drinking initially but later admitted to drinking at the White Rose Bar and Grill in York City, documents state. He refused to perform a sobriety test, according to police. While waiting for EMS, police say, Bond had trouble maintaining his balance.

Bond was arraigned Nov. 6 and remanded to York County Prison in lieu of $20,000 bail.

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at cdornblaser@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.