Man allegedly threatened York High coach

Christopher Dornblaser
  • A Maryland man is accused of threatening the York High football coach during a game last Saturday.
  • He allegedly threatened to shoot coach Russell Stoner after the game.
  • The man remains in York County Prison in lieu of $50,000 bail.

A former Central York High School athlete is accused of threatening York High's head football coach during the Bearcats' game against the New Oxford Colonials last weekend.

Bernard Jones III

Bernard Charles Jones III, 26, of 106 Twin Willow Court, Owings Mills, Maryland, is charged with two counts each of terroristic threats and assault on a sports official and one count of attempted simple assault, according to charging documents filed by York City Police.

Jones was removed from the Oct. 29 football game after he allegedly made threatening comments to the coach during the game.

While charging documents do not identify the coach, a Facebook post from Central York School District confirmed the alleged threats were directed at York High football coach Russell Stoner, a former coach for Central York. The alleged threats were made less than a week before York High played Central.

The alleged incident: Police say Jones entered the press box at Small Field about 1 p.m. during the game and asked the coaches inside if they were ready for a "civil war." Jones allegedly told those inside that he was ready for a "civil war," according to charging documents.

After that, he went down to the field, police said. At that point Stoner found out about the comments and stopped the play, according to police.

York High football coach Russell Stoner was allegedly threatened during a football game last week, according to police.

The coach could see Jones standing at the bottom of the bleachers, yelling at him, police said.

"The defendant yelled that he was going to light up (Stoner) and he was going to shoot him after the game," the officer wrote in charging documents. Stoner told police he feared for his safety and the safety of others at the game, police said.

York High planning to honor Hillian on Saturday

York City School District Police then escorted Jones from the game. The alleged incident was described as a "significant disruption," according to Central York School District.

According to the post from Central York, Jones was arrested Thursday night. A prison official confirmed Saturday that Jones had been remanded to York County Prison in lieu of $50,000 bail.

The alleged incident took place during the York High Bearcats game against New Oxford Colonials, where the Bearcats had their first win since week 10 of their 2014 season.

Central York School District's Facebook post said there would be an increased police presence during Friday's game as a preventative measure, even though Jones was in police custody before the game started.

Central York beat York High 41-24 on Friday night.

Alleged York High football game shooter captured

Season: The accusations from Saturday's game come toward the end of difficult season for the Bearcats.

On Sept. 9, two men were shot in the parking lot outside the stadium during the team's first home game of the year, police have said. The shootings prompted a lockdown of the stadium and a police response from all over the county.

Stephon Damieen Brown, 15, of Reading, is accused of shooting the two men. He has been charged with two counts of aggravated assault, carrying a firearm without a license, illegal firearm possession by a minor, criminal mischief and 2,000 counts of reckless endangerment. Brown was arrested in Lancaster last month.

The shootings prompted the district to move all home football games for the season to Saturday at noon.

York High settles into Saturday afternoon games

On Oct. 25, York High senior Eugene Hillian IV, who played wide receiver and defensive back on the junior varsity team, was shot and killed in the first block of East Maple Street, York City Police have said. He suffered five gunshot wounds to the chest, according to police.

During Saturday's game, the team honored Hillian as part of Senior Day.

"As far as our football players are concerned, they're sad they lost a brother," athletic director Ron Coursey told The York Dispatch before the game. "But, we're at a point right now where we just want to try to honor him and do it by representing him and our team the best way possible this Saturday."

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.