Join the Conversation
To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the Conversation Guidelines and FAQs
Six displaced in York City row home fire
A two-alarm row home fire early Sunday morning displaced six York City residents and likely killed two pets, according to the fire department.
The fire, which occurred at 625 McKenzie St., was reported at 3:45 a.m. and damaged two other homes, 623 and 627, causing an estimated total of $250,000 in damage, the York City Fire Department wrote in a Facebook post.
“They got there, they had a large volume of fire and heavy smoke coming from the home,” Fire Chief David Michaels said Sunday morning.
Michaels said a malfunctioning portable heater started the fire in a middle room of 625. The fire then spread to the neighboring homes.
“It was definitely spreading when they got there,” the chief said.
He said 625 had the most damage, but 623 had significant damage as well. Michaels said 627 was not as badly damaged as the other two homes.
The chief said the fire was under control about two hours after crews arrived.
“We cleared the scene a little after 8 o'clock (Sunday) morning,” he said.
Michaels said two cats likely died from the blaze in 625.
"We were missing some pets from 623, but they have all been either rescued or accounted for," the chief said.
The Red Cross is assisting those displaced in the fire.
— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.