Crenshaw award nominees unveiled
Who's the best young athlete in York City? How about the top hairdresser?
The city's looking for some help answering those questions and others, and York City will highlight the winners at the Ray Crenshaw Neighborhood Awards, according to a news release from the city.
The awards, which aim to recognize people and organizations that have made a difference in the city, are named for Ray Crenshaw, a former city councilman, head of the local NAACP and Democratic Party official.
The ceremony will be held 6 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 5, in the Voni Grimes Gym at 125 E. College Ave. The semiformal event, which includes refreshments and entertainment, costs $40 to attend. For more information or to buy tickets, call the city at (717) 849-2221 or go to City Hall at 101 S. George St.
The proceeds from the awards ceremony in part will go toward the renovation of the Voni Grimes Gym, according to the city.
Each category has three nominees, which were selected by popular vote. The winners, chosen by a committee, will be announced at the ceremony.
The categories and their respective nominees are as follows:
- Best Sports Coach: Rodney Washington, Kerry Glover, Russell Stoner
- Best Nail Salon: Sky Nails, Som Nails, Spa at Yorktowne
- Best School Teacher: Crissy Washington (York City School District), Deb Blair (Logos Academy), Tynisha Wilkes (Lincoln Charter School)
- Best Church Choir: Bible Tabernacle Church Choir, Fairview Full Gospel Church Choir, New Covenant Community Church
- Best Barbershop: World A Cuts Barbershop, Tony Orr Sons & Daughters Barbershop, Phase 2 Kutz Barbershop
- Best Hair Salon: Beneath The Surface, Diane and Anita’s Hair Salon, Didi and Smiling Johns
- Best Service Professional: York City Police Officer Joe Colahan, White Rose Ambulance, York City Fire Department
- Best Beauty Supply Store: Golden Beauty, Hair Depot, Ace Discount
- Best Photographers: Shelby Seaton, Lawrence Tyler, Randy Flaum
- Best Rap & Hip Hop: Kahlil “Lost Cause” Thompson, Durvel “Lil Vishis” Wilson, EC “Vision” Holmes
- Best Apparel Store: The New Hub, Sneaker Villa, Sweet Melissa’s
- Best Latin/Spanish Restaurant: Mi Caldero, York Fried Chicken, El Caribe Grocery
- Best Singer: Bridgette Shockley, The Rossums, Brittney Brooks
- Best Poet: Carla Christopher, Jerald “Proc” Proctor, Dustin Nispel
- Best Coffee Shop: Green Bean, I-ron-ic, New Grounds
- Best Corner Store: Bev’s Grocery Store, Eby’s Market, Green’s Market
- Best Youth Athlete: Kerry Glover Jr., Durvel Wilson Jr., Daveyon Lydner
- Best After-School Program: YAYA Girls, YWCA QOP, Salvation Army