York City fire displaces eight on Saturday

Christopher Dornblaser, 505-5436/@YDDornblaser
  • Eight people were displaced from a fire in York City on Saturday night.
  • The fire caused $90,000 in damages, and the cause is still under investigation.

A two-alarm fire in York City prompted a resident to jump from his second-floor window Saturday evening, according to a fire official.

Fire Chief David Michaels said the man was sleeping when he heard crackling, opened the door to his room and saw smoke. The man then opened the window and jumped out onto the roof of the first floor.

“He was able to jump down onto that roof and that roof to the ground,” the chief said.

The man was one of eight people displaced from the blaze that damaged a two-unit building at 219 Springdale Ave., Michaels said. 

“When he hit the roof, the occupants of the first floor heard him,” Michael said, adding that the jump prompted those on the first floor to get out of the building. All eight people escaped without injuries.

The fire caused $90,000 in damage, and the cause is still under investigation, the chief said.

Eight people were displaced in a fire in a home in the 200 block of Springdale Avenue on Saturday night.

The fire department tweeted shortly before 6:30 p.m. that firefighters were on the scene of the fire.

“When the crews got there, there was smoke and flames visible,” the chief said.

About 30 minutes later, the department tweeted that the fire was under control. 

One injured in Dallastown fire

Despite the damage, Michaels said he thinks the building could be repaired. The fire damage was mostly contained to the second and third floor of the home, he said.

“We believe it did originate on the second floor,” he said, adding that it then spread to the third floor. He said the first floor had some water damage, but the rear of the first floor is fine.

The Red Cross is assisting those displaced in the blaze.

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at cdornblaser@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.

'Ammunition flying' during gun-range fire in West York