Police: Three people shot in York City in 24 hour-period

Liz Evans Scolforo
  • Three people were shot in York City between Tuesday and Wednesday nights, police said.
  • The latest shooting, in the east end of the city, left a resident in critical condition.
  • It's preliminary believed the man was the victim of an attempted robbery, according to police.

A York City man was critically injured Wednesday night when he was shot in the alley behind his home, police said.

Corey Eyster, 32, was in the 800 block of East Mason Avenue — an alley that runs behind and parallel to East Market Street — about 9:45 p.m. when he was approached by three people, according to York City Police Capt. Tim Utley.


It's believed that the three people tried to rob Eyster, the captain said, but he noted detectives are in the early stages of the investigation and still sorting out information.

When officers arrived, they found Eyster lying in the alley, suffering from a single gunshot wound to his upper torso, Utley said.

Eyster was conscious and told officers he'd been approached by three people, one of whom shot him, the captain said. The victim was taken to York Hospital by ambulance.

His condition could not be obtained Thursday. Utley said police have been advised that Eyster was in critical condition.

Physical descriptions of the three people who approached Eyster weren't available.

Police: 2 shot, 1 dead in York City violence

Utley said it was too soon to say whether the shooting was related to any others in the city. However, he said detectives are looking into the possibility.

Violent week: One York City teenager was killed and another seriously injured in separate shootings late Tuesday night and early Wednesday morning in the city's west end, according to police.

Erick Hernandez, 18, of the 200 block of Grantley Avenue, died early Wednesday morning after someone shot him in the chest in the alley south of the 600 block of West Princess Street, according to police.

A neighborhood man, who wished not to be identified, prays for the victim as York City Police investigate a shooting on W. Poplar at S. West Street on Tuesday, September 20, 2016. John A. Pavoncello photo

Officers were called to West Heiges Street, the alley, about 2:20 a.m. for the shooting. Hernandez was taken to to York Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 3:06 a.m., according to the York County Coroner's Office.

An autopsy is scheduled Thursday morning determined that he died of a gunshot wound to the torso, according to the coroner's office.

Hernandez wasn't the only young man shot in the city's west end that night.

York City to increase security at Small Field

Shot in back: Five hours earlier and a block-and-a-half northeast of the homicide, a 17-year-old male was shot in the back about 9:30 p.m. on West Newton Avenue near South West Street, according to police.

The teen, whose name has not been released, remains at York Hospital in serious condition, police said.

Anyone with information about these shootings or any York City crime, can call the station at 717-846-1234 or call 911. Or anonymously text "yorktips" and then your tip to 847411.

— Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at levans@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at @LizScolforoYD.