A year later, friends and family remember homicide victim

Sean Philip Cotter
  • Erik Miranda was killed Sept. 20, 2015.
  • In the year that's passed, no arrests have been made.

Steven Reid always has Erik Miranda with him.

From left, Jack Padro, Raul Miranda, Steven Reid and Hez Klinedinst, all of York City, gather with family and friends in remembrance of Erik Miranda in the 200 block of Jefferson Avenue in York City, Tuesday, Sept. 20, 2016. Erik Miranda was 24 when he died one year ago to the day, after being shot outside his home in the 200 block of Jefferson Avenue. His homicide remains unsolved. Dawn J. Sagert photo

Someone shot Miranda to death early Sunday morning, Sept. 20, 2015. On Tuesday, exactly a year later, two dozen friends and family held a vigil at Kiwanis Lake, still looking for answers.

That morning last year, York City Police responded to reports of shots fired about 5:50 a.m. in the 200 block of Jefferson Avenue, where Miranda lived with his mother.  They found Miranda, 24, in an alleyway right by his home.

At the time, family members described him as a nice, well-liked guy who worked hard as a technician at Comcast and a medical transcriber at Urgent Care. Reid noted his friend also was enrolled in HACC when he died.

Erik Miranda.

"He was there through my dark times," Reid said. Reid has suffered from depression and has contemplated suicide, he said.

But Miranda, a religious man, a Jehovah's Witness, was always there for him, always telling him to keep pushing forward.

Family: York City shooting victim was church-going 'good boy'

"He was the first one there," Reid said. "He was always there for me."

Reid hopes people can come together and speak out against the violence, so no more senseless deaths such as Miranda's happen, he said.

"The violence has to stop," Reid said. "In order for it to stop, there has to be unity in the community."

'Stop the Violence' rally planned in York City

On Tuesday, the couple dozen friends, family and sympathizers who came out, a crowd that included York City Council vice president Michael Helfrich, had a brief moment of silence and then released balloons.

"We love you, Erik," someone said as the balloons floated into the air and drifted southwest from Kiwanis Lake.

Olga Berrios, a cousin of Miranda's who has helped organize anti-violence rallies around town in the last year, asks that anyone who knows anything come forward. Someone out there knows something, she's sure.

Anyone with information is asked to call police at 717-846-1234 or text "yorktips" and then the message to 847411.

Todd Nelson, another of Miranda's friends, said closure would be welcome.

"It's not going to fix it," he said, "but it'd help to know who did it and why."

CeaseFire veterans: York needs patience, commitment

— Sean Cotter covers York City for The York Dispatch. Contact him atscotter@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at@SPCotterYD.