Police: Husband, wife arrested in Fawn Twp. double homicide

Liz Evans Scolforo
  • Two people were fatally shot Tuesday night during a home-invasion robbery in Fawn Twp., police said.
  • A married couple was arrested after a short vehicle chase, according to police.
  • One of the victims was allegedly a heroin dealer, and one of the suspects is a convicted drug dealer.

A husband and wife wanted in Tuesday night's double homicide in Fawn Township were captured Wednesday after a police chase that ended in a minor crash in Dauphin County, police said.

State police said Foday Cheeks, 31, and Danielle Taylor, 26, were fatally shot inside 706 Brown Road in Fawn Township on Sept. 13, 2016.
(Photo by John Joyce)

Trooper Rob Hicks, a state police spokesman, said Paul Jackson Henry III, 40, of 867 Canal Road in Manchester Township, and Veronique Aundrea Henry, 32, of 3835 Susquehanna Trail in Manchester Township, were arrested without incident about 11:15 a.m. by state police on Route 322 in Dauphin County and will be charged with homicide, robbery, burglary, aggravated assault, simple assault, theft and conspiracy.

They were expected to be arraigned Wednesday night at the county's central booking unit.

They were caught after investigators broadcast a be-on-the-lookout alert for the Henrys, who police had developed as suspects in the double homicide, according to Hicks.

Accused heroin dealer Foday Cheeks, 31, was fatally shot about 10 p.m. inside his 706 Brown Road house during a home-invasion robbery, according to police and the York County Coroner's Office.

Also killed was Danielle Elizabeth Taylor, 26, of South Water Street in Spring Grove. Autopsies on both victims are set for 8 a.m. Thursday at Allentown's Lehigh Valley Hospital.

Foday Cheeks was fatally shot inside his Fawn Township home during a robbery Sept. 13, 2016, police said.
(Photo courtesy of Facebook)

Police allege the Henrys committed the home-invasion robbery and, after fatally shooting Cheeks and Taylor, rounded up the four other people in the home and took their cellphones.

The Henrys then rummaged through Cheeks' home looking for drugs, according to state police.

Kids in home: The four people were unharmed, officials said. They were two adult women and two boys, ages 12 and 14, police said.

Hicks said investigators developed the Henrys as suspects in the crime after one of the two women told them she recognized the female robber as "Veronique." The two women later picked out photos of Paul and Veronique Henry from photo lineups, according to police.

Paul Henry III

"We know drugs was part of the motive," Hicks said, but he added that police have not yet determined if that was the couple's sole motive.

Charging documents against the Henrys allege they went into Cheeks' home "with intent to commit the crime of criminal homicide."

Hicks said a state trooper spotted the Henrys on Route 322 and tried to pull them over, but they took off. The brief pursuit ended in a minor crash involving the Henrys' vehicle and a state police cruiser, Hicks confirmed.

No one was hurt in the crash, he said.

Pending heroin case: Cheeks was free on $25,000 bail, charged with two felony counts of heroin possession with intent to deliver, according to court records. His next court appearance was a pretrial conference scheduled for Dec. 7.

The York County Drug Task Force raided Cheeks' home May 12 and seized heroin and packaging materials, charging documents state.

Veronique Henry

The next day, the task force filed charges against Cheeks and his live-in girlfriend, Kristen Lee Smith, 35, who is in York County Prison charged with the same offenses.

Police allege Cheeks agreed to deliver heroin to another person, in addition to having it in his home. Charging documents do not say how much heroin was allegedly seized.

Both Henrys have criminal records in York County. Veronique Henry's record includes being charged with heroin dealing and drug delivery resulting in death, according to court records. Also known as Veronique Bair, she pleaded guilty to drug dealing and was sentenced to prison; the drug delivery resulting in death charge was dismissed, records state.

The homicides: According to charging documents filed against the Henrys, witnesses inside Cheeks' home heard a knock on the door that was answered by Taylor, who had been in the kitchen making food.

Cheeks and others, including the boys, were in the living room when they heard a loud bang, documents state. They called out to Taylor but got no answer, at which point Cheeks went to investigate, police said.

The witnesses then heard multiple gunshots, and at least one of them saw Paul Henry shooting Cheeks multiple times with a silver gun, charging documents allege.

Danielle Taylor, 26, of Spring Grove, was fatally shot inside a Fawn Township home during a home-invasion robbery on Sept. 13, 2016.

The Henrys both brandished handguns during the home invasion, according to documents. They took the cellphones of the four people inside and a purse belonging to one of the women, police said.

The gun-wielding Veronique Henry stood guard over the four while her husband went upstairs and rummaged around, police allege. At some point Paul Henry "demanded to know where the drugs were located," documents state.

After about 10 minutes of Paul Henry searching the house, the Henrys told the two women and two children to stay on the floor for 20 minutes or they would be shot, and the couple then left, documents allege.

Anti-heroin meeting: Just hours before the double slaying, York County chief deputy prosecutor David Sunday and York County Coroner Pam Gay were in that part of the county for a meeting of the Mason Dixon Anti-Drug Task Force.

"What I heard at this meeting is what I hear everywhere else we go in the county," Sunday said. "Everyone is doing everything they can to keep our youth from experimenting with ... drugs like heroin."

Sunday said the investigation into the double homicide is still active, to determine "what drove these individuals to do what they did."

He said he's thankful state police arrested the Henrys quickly, "so the community doesn't have to worry about being harmed any further."

Foday Cheeks was fatally shot in his house during a home-invasion robbery on Tuesday, Sept. 13, 2106.

Sunday said Cheeks wasn't believed to have been a large-scale drug dealer.

"However, he certainly is someone who sold heroin in the past," the prosecutor said.

— Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at levans@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at @LizScolforoYD.