Police ID victims shot at William Penn football game

Christopher Dornblaser

The first home football game of William Penn High School was the scene of a lockdown after two adult males were shot in the parking lot outside the stadium Friday night, according to a school official.

York City Police officers were dispatched to Small Athletic Field at 9:34 p.m. for a reported shooting, according to a department news release.

The officers found two victims — Darius Allen, 23, of York City, and Antwan Jackson, 20, of the York area, police said. Allen was struck once in the abdomen and Jackson was struck once in the back.

The shootings were the result of a verbal dispute that started inside the stadium during the game and continued outside the stadium after the participants were removed by York City School Police officers, according to York City Police.

Allen was listed in critical condition and Jackson was listed in stable condition, according to the release.

York City Police ask anyone with information about the incident to call the department at (717) 846-1234 or text tips to 847-411.

The shootings happened while the William Penn High School football team was playing J.P. McCaskey, according to York City School District Superintendent Eric Holmes.

He said as soon as there was a reported shooting, York City School District Police placed the stadium on lockdown as protocol.

"No one was allowed out and no one was allowed in," Holmes said.

The lockdown lasted about 20 minutes before York City Police could gave clearance to let people out. More than 1,000 people at the game were not allowed to leave. The superintendent said there were about 20 people on security from the district at the game.

Holmes said the shootings were reported in toward the end of the fourth quarter of the game. The game was suspended. Holmes said authorities will be reviewing security footage from the parking lot as part of their investigation.

During that time of the lockdown, a voice over the loudspeaker could be heard addressing the people in the stadium, saying there was police activity in the parking lot.

Inside the parking lot officers had sectioned off a large area for investigation. Police from several municipalities, including Hellam Township, Northeastern Regional Police, West Manchester Township Police, and state police, were assisting at the scene. Police could be seen on North George Street as well.

Once the lockdown was over, people flocked out to the lot to get in their cars and leave.

Ron Millirne, of Lancaster, was one of the unlucky few whose car was stuck within the police investigation area. Millirne said he saw both teams running, and heard someone yell to get down.

"I got down real quick," he said.

Millirne was there watching J.P. McCaskey.

"It's definitely rattling," he said.

Brittany Mann, of Harrisburg, was at the game watching her brother play for William Penn. Like Millirne, her car was stuck in a behind police tape. Her red sedan had damage from the shooting in between the front and back passenger side doors. When everyone else was leaving, she had to stay behind until police finished investigating.

Mann said she was at the snack stand of the field when she saw the teams start running toward the bleachers, and she joined in.

"When one person runs, everybody runs," she said.

Mann said authorities spoke over the loudspeakers during the lockdown, and told them the incident had not happened in the stadium.

Mann, who grew up in the city, had not seen anything to this extent beore.

"This is the first time this ever happened here," she said.