Second short jail term in York City shooting

Liz Evans Scolforo
  • A York City man was paralyzed when he was shot in the back while in his car in October, police said.
  • The victim has declined to cooperate with the prosecution of his shooters, ADA Jennifer Russell has said.

A second man has avoided a lengthy prison sentence for a York City shooting that left a teen paralyzed.

That's because the victim won't cooperate with authorities to make the case against his attackers, a prosecutor has said.

On Tuesday, Omar Sharif Jamison-Garcia pleaded guilty in York County Court to conspiracy to commit aggravated assault in exchange for a county prison sentence of 11½ to 23 months, according to his defense attorney, Christopher Moore. Related charges, including attempted first-degree murder, were then dismissed, court records state.

Omar Jamison-Garcia

Moore said the plea agreement reflected "evidentiary concerns" on the part of prosecutors.

But also as part of the agreement, Jamison-Garcia received no credit for the seven months he's already spent in York County Prison, Moore said.

Jamison-Garcia, 20, of York City, also pleaded no contest to carrying a firearm without a license in two separate cases, for which he received a concurrent six- to 23-month prison sentence and five years of probation, records state.

In both gun cases, he had been charged with being a convicted felon in illegal firearm possession, but those offenses were dismissed at sentencing, records state.

In July, co-defendant Anthon D. Reece Jr., 18, pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit aggravated assault. His other charges, including attempted first-degree murder, were dropped as part of his plea agreement.

Pursuant to that agreement, Reece was sentenced to a year minus a day to two years minus two days in York County Prison. He has been locked up since Jan. 27 and will receive credit for time served.

Short jail term in York City shooting that left victim paralyzed

The background: Reece and Jamison-Garcia approached a parked car in the 300 block of East King Street about 11 p.m. Oct. 30 that held Miquez Johnson and a passenger, according to York City Police.

Police said both Reece and Jamison-Garcia approached the car with handguns drawn.

Jamison-Garcia tapped on the driver-side window, where Johnson was sitting, and Reece walked to the passenger side of the vehicle, police said.

Anthon Reece Jr.

That's when Johnson started to drive away at the urging of his passenger, police said.

Both men opened fire on Johnson, now 20, who was struck with one bullet, police said.

The round hit him in the back and passed through his chest, damaging both of his lungs and paralyzing him from the waist down, according to court documents.

York City Police: Man in critical condition after overnight shooting

At Reece's sentencing, first assistant district attorney Jennifer Russell told presiding Common Pleas Judge Richard K. Renn that "the commonwealth has witness issues in this case."

Outside the courtroom, Russell told The York Dispatch that Johnson has not been cooperative with the prosecution of his attackers.

Russell did not return a message seeking comment Tuesday.

— Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at or on Twitter at @LizScolforoYD.