Police: Man threatened to jump out of fourth-story window at York YMCA

John Joyce
  • York City police officers prevented a man from jumping out of a fourth-story window at the YMCA July 7.
  • The man then fought with the officers, forcing them to use a Taser to subdue him, authorities say.

Two York City police officers stopped an agitated man from jumping out the window of his room on the fourth floor of the YMCA onto the street below, according to a criminal complaint.

The subject then fought with the police and had to be shocked twice with a Taser, according to charging documents.

LOGO 911

Nestor Cortes-Orengo, 51, is charged with aggravated assault, resisting arrest and disorderly conduct. He is free on $2,500 unsecured bail and is scheduled for a preliminary hearing Aug. 5.

According to the documents, police were called to the YMCA at 310 W. Philadelphia St. about 1:40 p.m. July 7 for a report of a disorderly man threatening to jump. The officers obtained a key to Room 405, where they found Cortes-Orengo standing on his bed. Pieces of wooden furniture were strewn across the bedroom floor, the report said.

The officers tried to talk Cortes-Orengo off the bed and out of the room, but he refused to comply. He instead jumped from his bed to a chair closer to the window. Officer Christopher Roosen began putting on his gloves, and Cortes-Orengo asked him why he was doing that. Roosen replied that if Cortes-Orengo would not come out willingly, they were going to have to "help him out into the hall," the documents said.

EDITORIAL: Respond calmly to York neighbors in crisis

Roosen grabbed Cortes-Orengo by the wrist and forearm, and Cortes-Orengo leaped toward the window. As Roosen pulled him back, Cortes-Orengo turned and punched him, according to the documents. The two men exchanged blows. Officer Brian Lehman called out that he was going to use his Taser, and Roosen stepped back. Lehman's Taser prongs hit Cortes-Orengo in the left thigh and abdomen, and the five-second jolt dropped him to the floor.

Cortes-Orengo did not initially comply when Lehman and Roosen ordered him to put his hands behind his back, but after a second five-second jolt he took his hands out from under his body and allowed himself to be handcuffed, the documents said.

Paramedics at the scene took Cortes-Orengo to York Hospital for a mental health evaluation, and along the way they noticed Roosen grabbing his hand in pain. It was determined Roosen had fractured his right hand in the struggle with Cortes-Orengo.

The York City Police Department was not available for comment at the time of this report.

— Reach John Joyce at jjoyce2@yorkdispatch.comor on Twitter at @JohnJoyceYD.