Last chance to get free fresh produce from Agency on Aging
- White Rose Senior Center, 27 S. Broad St. in York City, has vouchers from 9-11:30 a.m. July 26.
- Calvary Bible Church, 603 Wilson Ave. in Hanover, has vouchers from 9:30-11:30 a.m. July 28.
- St. Matthews Evangelical Lutheran Church, 839 W. Market St. in York City, has vouchers from 9:30-11:30 a.m. Aug. 4.
It's the last chance for some senior citizens to get vouchers for free fruits and vegetables before the end of summer.
The York County Area Agency on Aging is working with the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture to offer the Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program to eligible seniors in the area.
Vouchers can be picked up at three locations around the county:
- White Rose Senior Center, 27 S. Broad St. in York City, has vouchers available from 9 to 11:30 a.m. July 26.
- Calvary Bible Church, 603 Wilson Ave. in Hanover, has vouchers available from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. July 28.
- St. Matthews Evangelical Lutheran Church, 839 W. Market St. in York City, has vouchers available from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. Aug. 4.
Residents who are 60 years or older and who have a total gross annual household income at or below $21,978 for a single person or $29,637 for a couple are eligible for $20 in vouchers from participating local farm markets, according to a news release from the Agency on Aging.
One individual can pick up vouchers for up to four people, according to the news release. However, a 2016 Farmers Market Proxy Form and proof of age and residency are required for anyone picking up vouchers for another eligible person. The proxy form can be found online or at most senior centers around York County.
Residents of nursing homes, personal-care facilities or any residential setting that offers meals are ineligible to receive the vouchers. Vouchers will be distributed for as long as supplies last and can be redeemed between June 1 and Nov. 30.
Locations and dates for voucher pickup can be found online at the Agency on Aging website.
For more information on the Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program, call the Agency on Aging at (717) 771-9610.