Four people struck by car in York City

Sean Philip Cotter
  • Four pedestrians were struck by a minivan in York City.
  • The driver had a "medical emergency" before the crash, police believe.

Four people were transported to local hospitals after being hit Friday morning by a minivan on a York City sidewalk.

Ambulance crews transport an injured pedestrian after several people were struck when a vehicle was driven down a South George Street sidewalk Friday, June 10, 2016. Bill Kalina photo

The vehicle's driver, who also was taken to a hospital, appeared to have had a "medical emergency" that led to him losing control of a white Chevrolet about 11:15 a.m. and driving down the sidewalk for the better part of two blocks, according to York City Police.

About 20 minutes after the crash, emergency personnel had closed down the entire 100 block of South George Street, where they continued to load people into ambulances. One man, lying on a stretcher, gave a thumbs-up as medical personnel put him into the back of an ambulance. No further information about the patients' conditions or identities was available at the scene, which was in front of York City Hall.

Emergency workers lift an injured pedestrian onto a gurney after several people were struck when a vehicle, background, was driven down a South George Street sidewalk leaving damage, including a sidewalk canopy, foreground, in its wake Friday, June 10, 2016. It occurred near the intersection of King Street. Bill Kalina photo

White Rose Ambulance tweeted that they transported four patients to York Hospital and one patient to Memorial Hospital.

Witness: Eddie Poteet said his family had just come out of Family First Health at 116 S. George St. and crossed the road when the crash happened.

"We heard a bunch of noise, and we seen it jump the curb," he said.

Police confirmed the minivan jumped onto the sidewalk at the corner of South George Street and East Mason Avenue and continued south down George, crossing West King Street at the crosswalk before getting back up on the sidewalk and continuing much of the way down the block. The driver then hit a tree and came to a stop.

It was in the 100 block of South George Street where the car struck the pedestrians, police said. Officers on the scene said they believed the people struck had been hit outside of Family First Health.

Poteet said he ran back across the street to help. The driver appeared to be an elderly man. The man was conscious, Poteet said, but seemed to be in a state of shock, arms rigid, still clinging to the wheel.

Poteet said it sounded like the engine had been revving all the way down the street.

"Sounded like a train going through a building," he said.

He said one woman appeared to be seriously injured.

An hour after the incident, debris littered the road. The minivan had come to a halt in the 100 block of South George Street, badly damaged. It had left one of its wheels about 20 feet down the block. A small canopy outside one of the stores lay askew, with pieces of plants scattered around it.

One block north, in the first block of South George, where police say the driver originally jumped the curb, tire marks, pieces of the vehicle and road signs had been flung all over the sidewalk.

It was right near there where Adam Bupp had been waiting in his truck in front of the LettUsKnow cafe when the minivan's mirror clipped his pickup truck's mirror, just grazing it enough to leave a small scratch.

The car then jumped the curb in front of him outside the Fulton Bank on that block.

"It hit that sign square on," he said, indicating a road sign that had been completely shorn off its base. A piece of metal stuck a foot out of the ground, with the rest of the signpost and the "No parking" sign several yards away.

"It was the craziest thing I ever seen," Bupp said.

One block south, Courtney Lewis, Family First's director of development, was in a stairwell on the first floor when she heard the crash.

"It literally sounded like a bomb went off in the building," she said. "And then we heard all this screaming."

Lewis isn't a doctor or nurse, but many of her co-workers are — the nonprofit organization includes medical and dental facilities, much like those of a private practice. So Lewis ran out to the scene and immediately found two people bleeding on the ground.

Her clinically trained colleagues ran out, too, and quickly began tending to the victims of the crash.

"It's horrible that it happened, but I'm grateful it happened right outside Family First," she said, adding that she was proud of how quickly and professionally the staff operated.

As her colleagues from the medical side gave their brand of aid to the victims, Lewis was able to help, too, she said. She sat down with a woman whose legs appeared injured and tried to provide comfort.

"She really just wanted someone to hold her hand," Lewis said.

— Reach Sean Cotter at or on Twitter at @SPCotterYD.