Building in quarry catches fire
West Manchester Township Fire Department and several other neighboring departments were sent out to a fire in a quarry Tuesday night.
The fire occurred in a building down in the quarry of Magnesita Refractories Co., 320 N. Baker Road, about 8:45 p.m. Tuesday.
West Manchester Township Fire Chief Clif Laughman said the fire was caused by a malfunctioning device in the building.
“From what we can tell, it was a box that was built around a barrel of grease to keep it warm,” he said.
Justin Bucks, vice president of operations for Magnesita, said the fire happened in an isolated area of the plant.
"The employees followed the proper procedures and called 911," he said.
He said that part of the plant was not operating at the time.
No one was injured during the fire, and the employees there at the time were able to get out.
Fighting the fire: “We had the bulk of the fire knocked down within the first half-hour,” Laughman said.
He said the rest took about two hours total to take care of.
Laughman said the biggest difficulty they had was with the building's location near the side of the quarry, which made fighting the fire on multiple sides tough.
During the fire, several departments were dispatched to the scene, according to the York County 911 Center's online Webcad.
Laughman said the extra manpower was because of the difficulty of fighting the fire.
“There’s no water down there, so we had to have tankers down there for water source,” Laughman said.
Bucks said the company will have to make some repairs but doesn't expect any impact on its operations because of the fire.
— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at email@example.com or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.