Penis donor’s family praying for U.S. recipient
BOSTON — Relatives of the donor involved in the first successful penis transplant in the U.S. say they are opting to remain anonymous.
Alexandra Glazier, CEO of the New England Organ Bank, says the family of the donor — who had died — is praying for recipient Thomas Manning’s continued recover.
Glazier says the family indicates that Manning’s well-being is helping them cope as they mourn the loss of their loved one.
She says other organs donated by the man are helping save “multiple” lives.
Glazier read a statement from the donor’s family Monday at a news conference with the surgeons who performed the 15-hour operation on Manning.
Massachusetts General Hospital has confirmed that Manning of Halifax, Massachusetts, received the transplanted penis last week.
The New York Times first reported the transplant Monday.
Dr. Curtis Cetrulo, who helped lead the surgical team, tells the newspaper that normal urination should be possible for the 64-year-old Manning in a few weeks, with sexual function possible in weeks to months.
The Times reports most of Manning’s penis was removed during his battle with penile cancer.
The world’s first penis transplant was performed at the University of Stellenbosch in South Africa in December 2014.
That patient had his penis amputated three years earlier after complications from a circumcision performed in his late teens.
The university near Cape Town said in announcing the transplant in March 2015 that the 21-year-old patient, whose name was not released, made a full recovering following the nine-hour surgery and regained all function in the transplanted organ.
A man in China received a penis transplant in 2005. That operation also appeared to be successful, but doctors said the man asked them to remove his new penis two weeks later because of psychological problems experienced by him and his wife.
— Associated Press writer Patrick Mairs in Philadelphia contributed to this report.