Fire in 'hoarder' home displaces man
A fire in a Manchester Township home with hoarder conditions displaced one man Friday afternoon, fire officials said.
The fire occurred on the 100 block of Taft Avenue around noon, according to York County 911. York Area United Fire and Rescue Battalion Chief Richard Anderson said the "hoarding" conditions — where an occupant piles up items or trash in their home — made it difficult for firefighters to get the fire under control.
"We had heavy smoke when we first pulled up," he said.
Despite that, he said they were able to get the fire under control in about 10 minutes.
The trash in the home reached the windows and at about 12:30 p.m. firefighters were digging through it to find the cause of the blaze.
A damage estimate wasn't immediately available.
— Reach Christopher Dornblaser firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter at@YDDornblaser