Fire chief: Dryer fire causes $20K in damage
A dryer fire caused $20,000 in damage to a Dover Township laundromat Sunday afternoon, according to Dover Township Deputy Fire Chief Brian Widmayer.
At around 2 p.m. two dryers caught fire at the Soaps Suds Laundromat, 3100 Carlisle Road, Widmayer said. He said the fire was contained to the walls and ceilings near the dryers.
"There were active flames when we got here," he said. The fire started from clothes catching fire in the dryer, Widmayer said, but he did not know how they caught fire.
He said crews were able to have the fire under control within a few minutes. No one was hurt during the blaze.
The fire might close the business for a day, Widmayer said.
"They're going to have to do some cleanup," he said.
Widmayer said firefighters were still investigating the cause of the blaze, but it looks as though the fire was accidental.
While firefighters were dealing with the fire, the electricity and gas had to be shut off at the laundromat and another business connected to it, Sal's Pizza. Shortly before 3 p.m., the electricity and gas were being turned back on.
— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at firstname.lastname@example.org.